Weak Foot frequency: 5
Consistency: 6
Growth Type: Standard

CARDS:
S08: Slide Tackle

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Sliding

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Balanced

INFO:

As a result of his athletic past, he proved to be the fastest Hungarian footballer for years. Over the years, more and more football virtues have joined his speed. Technically, he polished a lot. His ball handling became safe, and his left leg became "usable". His header was excellent from the start. Thanks to his great sense of pace and courage, he has become a real master of sliding tackles. In the full-back position, he made good use of his experience in the forward line. He often ran in front of the attackers, created opportunities with attacks and precise passes. His tactical sense was also impeccable. In the role of the sweeper, he consistently performed excellently. He was a great defender, rudeness and ruthlessness were never part of his arsenal. He had exemplary fighting ability and sportsmanship. At first, he was a member of the 4×100 relay team preparing for the Helsinki Olympics (his best time was 10.9 seconds!), and he also excelled as a long jumper (personal best: 699 cm) and high jumper (personal best: 183 cm). When he was accepted to TF, according to the rules, he was supposed to transfer to college. He was in athletics, but TF did not have a first-class team in football, so he could stay as a football player in Kinizsi. From a tall, long-legged, talented athlete, he became a multiple-team footballer in the span of a decade and a half. He started his top-flight career as a goal-scoring center forward. It soon became clear that he is capable of a more consistent and useful performance in the back line (both in the middle and on the right). Mátrai took part in three world championships (1958, 1962, 1966) and was among the best with his game. He stood out throughout his career, his popularity was enormous, and it was not by chance that Fradi's presidency organized a farewell match in his honor - and also for Máté Fenyvesi's - in 1969 (he was a player for Egetértüs from 1968, so he also missed the 1967/68 VVK final...) . This was a rarity in the 1960s. Not only in the Népstadion, but also in the return match against Vienna in Vienna - at the request of the Austrians! – the two world class players from Ferencváros performed on the Hohe Warte pitch. Nobody has had a farewell match abroad (!) since then...

Quote:
"I was attracted to team sports." It's nice to run a hundred meters or you enjoy jumping a long distance, but football, where eleven players fight for each other, is still different. I even jumped seven meters in the long jump! It's interesting, I achieved this when I was already playing football regularly. The athletic department of Kinizsi asked me to start a competition, because all the points are needed. I started at 100 meters. I won the race with 11.1 seconds. I was so happy that, being a football player, I was able to win among athletes, that I jumped seven meters into the distance for joy...

As for my football career: I started in Orosháza in the local Kinizsi. Then came the Budapesti Kinizsi - in two sports, but in the end I signed the certificate for the footballers struggling with a lack of players. Already in the spring of 1953, I was still kicking the ball as a lightning-quick center forward. I scored four goals in my first league game! I don't know how today either: I headed one of them into the goal from the 16!

My fighting years didn't last long. I became a quarterback on the advice of Gusztáv Sebes. In Kinizsi, I couldn't be in the middle of the back line, because for that I would have had to push out Mihály Kispéter, whom I considered my role model. I became a right back. I was able to place myself, but I wasn't behind one on one, and I was able to use the speed that stuck to me in athletics. Just this much about my famous slide-in setups: I had a talent for it, but I practiced a lot, and that's why I was often "decorated" with indecent scratches. I also experimented with using my hands to reduce my fall. Choosing the right moment was also essential. Before I intervened, I showed the opponent that I was out of breath. At that time, his self-confidence grew and he ran away for a long time. That's when I used the slide-in installation. It was a risk but most of the time no other solution was offered. I will tell you a case. It happened during the Ferencváros-Vasas match at the Népstadion. Pál Tibi started in the direction of our goal from beyond the halfway line. He drove the ball calmly because no one was near him. He didn't see me, I ran after him and threw myself at the right moment. Tibi got very angry when he got up and shouted:

"Where the hell did you come from?"

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]