Growth Type: Late/Lasting

CARDS:
P06 - Pinpoint Pass
P16 - Extra Attacker
S02 - Outside Curve

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Passing - Reaction - Outside - D-Line Control

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Balanced

Quote:
He was, together with Gheorghe Hagi, the strongest Romanian player of all time. An elegant central defender who is very gifted in the construction of the game, he won with any shirt he wore, except for Tottenham: his technical ability did not mix well with the athletic and racing game of the English. One of the most elegant defenders of his generation. At the height of his career, Gheorghe Popescu was considered one of the best players in the world at his post. He orchestrated with talent the organization of his defensive line, while having a velvet recovery and a formidable head game. As a libero and midfielder, he is considered the most complete Romanian footballer of all time. The team leader, brilliant technique, intelligent and excellent overview of the game, stood out with a great header.

Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 am

The set as a whole has interesting ideas, but I have to say it is exaggerated in defense. Watching the matches from him for Barcelona and the Romanian National Team, he wasn't that good in that aspect.
The Konami default set is already excellent, so many things of it can be taken into consideration for a final work. My suggestion for defense is 82-83.

If anyone is interested I can post the complete stats I use in my PES 6 OF.

Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:30 am

beiderbecke wrote:
The set as a whole has interesting ideas, but I have to say it is exaggerated in defense. Watching the matches from him for Barcelona and the Romanian National Team, he wasn't that good in that aspect.
The Konami default set is already excellent, so many things can be taken into consideration for a final work. My suggestion for defense is 82-83.

Well you posted your work here in the past, so you can still post it nowadays ;)
What I wonder if Popescu can actually be rated correctly with only one set. It's been a while since I watched the UEFA Cup final of that legendary Galatasaray team but from what I remember I wouldn't rate him with green value for AGG there (since he rather stayed in the defence but this could also been a tactical order because he had to face Bergkamp and Henry), lower STA, lower speed and DEF 84 (one point under Bülent who Konami rated correctly with 85 IMO).

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:33 am

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
beiderbecke wrote:
The Konami default set is already excellent, so many things can be taken into consideration for a final work. My suggestion for defense is 82-83.

Well you posted your work here in the past, so you can still post it nowadays ;)
What I wonder if Popescu can actually be rated correctly with only one set. It's been a while since I watched the UEFA Cup final of that legendary Galatasaray team but from what I remember I wouldn't rate him with green value for AGG there (since he rather stayed in the defence but this could also been a tactical order because he had to face Bergkamp and Henry), lower STA, lower speed and DEF 84 (one point under Bülent who Konami rated correctly with 85 IMO).

Firstly, I would shorten his prime period to 1994-1997 and then we should think about his stay in Galatasaray, where he played mainly as a defender and deserves another set with characteristics you've suggested.

Anyway, my idea for his prime is based on his games I watched for Romania in 1994 WC and later on for Barça. For this period of time, he is accurately rated in the present set, except for AGG which should be lower. In order to compensate his rushes to attack and lower AGG, the reaction ability is mandatory here as he always was attempting to score specially from headings.

For MEN, although he was the captain for Barça, the current value of 87 is debatable as well as for BAL. I would go for 83 (not sure yet, I will watch more games, but he was a little rash sometimes, resulting in a lot of cards for his actions) and 85 respectively.
The only thing that is extremely over the top here is DEF, both when he operated as a sweeper or as a defensive midfielder.

In addition to all that, his special abilities should be reaction, outside and d-line (he was very aware of that, specially when playing along with Belodedici).

Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]