Brazilian Championship - Serie A since 1967

Best result: 1st
4 times first in 2000, 1997, 1989, 1974
3 times second in 2011, 1984, 1979
1 times third in 1968

Copa Libertadores since 1960
1 times first in 1998

Copa Sudamericana since 2007 (5 participations)
Best result: Semi-finals in 2011

Intercontinental Cup since 1960/1961
Best result: 2nd
1 times second in 1998

Club World Cup since 2000
Best result: 2nd
1 times second in 2000

Brazilian Cup since 1989
1 times first in 2011
1 times second in 2006

Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Yeah, it is quite offensive but looks doable in game

Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:12 pm
Profile WWW

What's the point of such a formation with 4 CFs (two of them just beeing put on the AMF position to have a place, not because they actually fit)? Having Dinamite as AMF here because he played there in his later years (despite having his peak clearly as CF) just to include Edmundo makes no sense, no coach would play with such a formation. Even in game it makes no sense because neither Dinamite or Ademir actually has the stats to work as a proper playmaker. I understand the love for strikers but you can't put them all in on the cost of midfield/defense..

Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:25 pm

As far as I know, prime Roberto Dinamite (early 80's) played as SS/AMF too, although this is not in his set. Edmundo was *SS, tactically he can be included that way (if you prefer the formation I initially proposed, with Dinamite and Romário as CF), and Ademir can play those positions too. Ademir in the current lineup is SS btw. But I agree that maybe it could be exaggerated, although I don't agree that it is tactically incorrect (since we have 2 midfielders who are great playmakers btw). If it is the case of keeping the idea of the current lineup, I think we can agree with the inclusion of Augusto (it seems to be unanimous) and the inclusion of the 23 players that Bola Clássica suggested (I thought his selection was perfect, I currently believe these are Vasco's greatest players respecting the site's criteria).

Ps: I still prefer my original formation with Roberto and Romário in front and Ademir and Edmundo behind, but as there will apparently be no consensus on this, I prefer to create something that everyone agrees on. The idea of the set pieces and captains remains the same.

Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:54 pm

Well guys, reach a consensus here: Top players as starters no matter the formation, or apply a balanced formation and leave some of the idols on the bench.

Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:15 am

I personally can give up my 4-2-2-2 line-up in order to reach a consensus, although I disagree that there is a tactical problem. Juninho and Alvim are great playmakers (and even Felipe can do it) and a secure defense line with Orlando, Bellini and Augusto being great defenders, giving freedom to play with the 4 up front. Edmundo always knew how to use his skills to play behind the forwards, and Ademir, although he is a CF by origin, has already performed the SS/AMF function several times.

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:03 am

Any other thoughts? I think we can agree to keep the original formation (changing Orlando Lelé with Augusto) and the 23 players suggested by Bola Clássica?

Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:41 pm

Actually, I have Mauro Galvão alongside Bellini as starters in my game but I believe Orlando is equal.

I was a big fan of Mauro Galvão's game. I believe he is one of the most underrated defenders from Brazil. The guy was amazing.

I also have Danilo side by side with Juninho, both as CMF. This way, I have a rhombus in the midfield.

Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:26 pm
Profile WWW

Hard to say. Mauro Galvão has won tons of titles, including the most important one in Vasco's history, but Orlando has almost triple the number of games. It is a good dispute, but it creates a clash between the various criteria. I think the preference is to keep Orlando in the starting XI, although the debate could be really good.

An interesting thing that I found while I was researching to comment here was this image of the Vasco's Dream Team from Placar. I don't like to take any journalists' list seriously, but this one is pretty cool.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:12 am

They probably put Ely as CB due his defensive strengths or they decided to put Augusto as CB and Ely as right-back as he played as right-half.

Considering we have Mauro Galvão or Orlando as options, I wouldnt do that at all.

Mazinho or Felipe as LB for me are equivalents. My personal preference is slightly in favor of Felipe.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:02 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah, i agree at all.

Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:32 pm

Another important point is the inclusion of Carlos Germano in my opinion. Acácio has no advantage over Germano, we are talking about 632 games played by Germano against 162 by Acácio. Germano is the goalkeeper of the second best team in Vasco's history. He won many more titles, was much more important, was better, played for much longer.

Btw, I believe there is enough material here for a (possible) update of this team.

Edit: Oh, I was about to forget. I believe that this team should have two coaches: Flávio Costa and Antônio Lopes.

Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2