Growth type: Early Peak

CARDS:
P13 – Goal Poacher
P19 – Fox in the box
S01 – Marauding
S03 – 1-on-1 Scoring

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Scoring - Positioning - 1-on-1 Scoring - Post Player

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

Tommy Lawton (6 October 1919-6 November 1996) ranks among the most gifted players England has ever produced. A centre-forward, he was considered a master in the air, and strong in every aspect of the game. At the same time his frequent transfers reflected not only his ability as a footballer but also his talent for falling out with his employers. Lawton signed amateur forms for Burnley were he soon became the star attraction. In January 1937 Burnley accepted £5400 from Everton for his transfer. When he joined Everton he had been greeted by team mate Joe Mercer with the comment: "Aye, son, you're a big un." Lawton replied: "Aye, and a good `un." A powerful header of the ball, and a good passer (despite wearing arch supports in his boots because of his flat feet), he was the leading goal scorer in the first division in the 1937–8 season with twenty-eight goals and the following season, 1938–9, his thirty-five goals were crucial in the winning of the league championship.

'Who's Who of Everton' wrote:
Ideally built for a centre-forward, Lawton was a master in the air, brilliant on the ground, a constant threat to defenders and was universally regarded (by players, managers and coaches alike) as one of the greatest of his era.

Stanley Mathews wrote:
Tommy Lawton possessed a rocket of a shot and, like all great players, could hit the ball equally well with either foot. He was lethal in the air and, most surprisingly for a centre-forward of the time, had all the ball skill and creative prowess of the most mercurial of inside-forwards. Tommy was a goal-getter, a towering athlete with a seemingly elasticated neck that enabled him to rise that inch or so above defenders, which he did often to devastating effect.

Len Shackleton wrote:
Some of the greatest names in football have filled the centre-forward position and the best of them, in my time, was Tommy Lawton. Tommy, in his prime, had everything required of a centre-forward. A terrific shot with either foot, strength and accuracy with his head, the perfect physique, wonderful positional sense and a quickness off the mark that was unexpected in one of his build.

Wilf Mannion wrote:
I cannot recall any centre half who could keep him (Tommy Lawton) in check in his international days-I have seen little of him since and, for all I know, he may be as difficult to control as ever. Tall, powerful, agile and crafty, Tommy was the complete centre forward. He made goals; he scored them with monotonous regularity. With his head or with his feet, they came all the same to Lawton. If one man can do it, so can others. But they must put in the necessary work at practice and I am certain that Lawton was never a shirker in that respect else he would never have obtained the fame he did.

Charlie Buchan wrote:
Lawton had a lot to do with the success. He beat Joy for the ball in the air, kept the wings moving and was ever dangerous in front of goal.

Last edited by ttt1009 on Fri May 24, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 24, 2024 3:46 am

Shouldn't he have Early/Peak growth type? He had to stop playing for six years during WW2 and then he only played two more seasons in the First Division before moving to Notts County.

Fri May 24, 2024 7:40 am

Yeah, you're right. I put Early Peak at the beginning but changing later, because I still think that without WW2, 1937-1939 wouldnt be his peak. Actually he still scored tons of goals during WW2 league and some 'unofficial' international matches.

Fri May 24, 2024 1:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]