Weak Foot Frequency: 4
Consistency: 6
Growth type: Late/Lasting

CARDS:
S11 - Penalty Saver

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Penalty Stopper

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence Minded

INFO:

Allan McGregor is a legendary former Rangers goalkeeper. He had two spells at the club, the first from 2001 to 2012 and the second from 2018 to his retirement in 2023. Combined, he made over 500 appearances for Rangers and reached the Europa League final in 2008 and 2022. McGregor is an incredibly popular figure with Rangers fans, renowned for his longevity and miracle saves in decisive moments but also for his controversial behaviour on and off the pitch. In 2009 he was suspended by the club and permanently banned (later overturned) from playing for Scotland due to his unprofessional behaviour off the pitch, and he's gotten in several fights with opposition players. But in his European runs with Rangers he made absolutely incredible saves against Werder Bremen in 2008, Slavia Prague in 2021 and both Sparta Prague and Red Star Belgrade in 2022, and he's pulled off some hugely important penalty saves over his career, especially against Celtic. He's quite small for a modern goalkeeper, and plays very traditionally barely leaving his line at all, but on that line he could produce some unbelievable reflex saves, especially from close range. If I had to pick a weakness, it would be that he lacks control when dealing with crosses in the box because of his lack of size and average leap, so he's tentative to try and catch crosses. He was named the best goalkeeper in Scotland 5 times and Scotland's player of the year in the 2020/21 season, winning the league unbeaten and conceding only 10 goals in his 27 league games, keeping 17 clean sheets, never conceding more than once in a game. And all that at the age of 39! Despite the fact I'm a Celtic fan and McGregor has caused plenty of trouble for us over the years with his saves and controversial behaviour, I have to admit that he's probably one of the best Scottish goalkeepers ever and an icon in Scottish football. I think every fan in the country respects both his ability and his craziness.

Here's some of his most iconic moments:

Spoiler: show
His save against Werder Bremen in 2008:

His crazy red card against Hibs in 2019:

Unbelievable last minute save vs Slavia Prague in 2021 (4:05):

And what got him and Barry Ferguson banned from the Scotland team, they had been out drinking until 4am the night before a game so were dropped, then made these gestures from the stands:

Wed May 22, 2024 7:11 am

I had been waiting for this player for a while. Thank you!

Wed May 22, 2024 7:12 am

Maybe I'll make one for his last few years too, he was maybe even better then despite being 40 years old. He basically had two peaks, 10-15 years apart.

Wed May 22, 2024 7:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]