CARDS:

P06 - Pinpoint Pass
P10 - Long Ranger
P16 - Extra Attacker
S04 - PK Taker
S08 - Sliding Tackle
S09 - Covering
S10 - DF Leader

SPECIAL ABILITIES: D-Line Control - Sliding - Covering - Passing - Middle Shooting - Penalties

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Balanced

INFO:
Aad Mansveld was the epitome of FC Den Haag. The Captain with impressive stature and physically strong, crushing everyone. Aad was also the typical example of the "van Haagse bluf" (Hague bluff). Very strong in duels with a beautiful excellent long pass, combining, devastating long shot, regular scoring and barely passable. He took the free kicks by definition from which he scored with great regularity. He was also the team's penalty kick taker. Uses both feet. A graceful libero and the undisputed club legend of ADO den Haag. Mansveld could also be ruthless. His tackles were razor sharp "He preferred to give the opponent a kick, at least he knew immediately where he stood. If Aad couldn't get the ball, he just grabbed one leg - that's how he was" He was also feared by setting up one-twos with his midfielders (Dick Advocaat, Piet de Zoete) in order to make scoring attempts. He wasn't called Beckenbauer of the Netherlands for nothing... As captain of the team, he was the figurehead, a situation to which he had to get used to as a risk-loving footballer.

A personal highlight was the European CWC game against West Ham United in 1976. In a 4-2 win, the defender scored three times within 38 minutes! The other goal came from Lex Schoenmaker. Aad won the KNVB Cup twice with the Hagenaars (1968 and 1975)

The charismatic defender played six international matches for the Orange squad. He missed the 1974 World Cup with an ankle injury. Mainly due to enormous competition from Rinus Israel and the bad relationship with Frantisek Fadrhonc, Aad remained a local hero.

Despite interest from PSV, Ajax and Anderlecht among others, Mansveld remained loyal to the Zuiderpark. He couldn't do without ADO and the club couldn't do without him. He would later play for some time at Feyenoord and FC Utrecht, but football fans mainly remember Aad Mansveld as Mister ADO Den Haag. An unyielding player who defended the club colors of 'his' ADO with unwavering commitment.

Spoiler: show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KET9_FNxZSs - documentary; interception on 8:40; 14:31;
Shot from deep vs Belgium in 1973 on 20:04; another long shot goal on 31:47; header goal on 33:18 vs Vejle in 1975; vs West Ham in 1976 goal on 34:15;
Deep pass with left on 34:41; 2 penalties on 34:58 and 35:39
Drive on 46:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej1ImmZP_G0 - 2 min clip on his play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08pBnX_oSoU - 0:55 long shot goal;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_L4ehGbajU 1972 cup final vs Ajax - penalty on 3:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_2YVhuHqIU 1975 cup final vs Twente - long pass on 2:35; pass on 3:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCN22AatyOs&t 1975 vs Lens - long pass on 2:15; 4:00; free kick on 5:14; 13:32

Last edited by Kolektivitet on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:37 pm
Profile WWW

He was definitely a good player, but some values seem kind of overrated to me. From what I saw, his long passes were more about power and speed rather than accuracy, he tried them constantly and most of them didn't find their target, but they were often hit distances of 70 or 80 yards. I also didn't see him using his left foot very often. And while he sometimes went forward, and he had an excellent scoring record for a defender, I saw him more like a libero that dictates the play from deeper positions rather than the "Dutch Beckenbauer" that carves through the opposition with quick 1-2 passes and driving forward with dribbles.

These are some changes I'd suggest:

TS: 79 > 77
ACC: 78 > 76
LPA: 84 > 80
LPS: 82 > 84
AGG: 78 > 74
WFA: 7 > 6
WFF: 7 > 5
Remove 1-Touch Play

Maybe I'd drop DEF, STA and RES by a point too. It's a shame that he had such strong competition during his time that he couldn't win more caps for the national team, but maybe he also benefitted from being the main man in Den Haag. It's worth noting that the Big 3 also had sweepers that were better than him in Israel, Blankenburg and Van Kraay so I don't think it's surprising that he stayed at Den Haag for almost his whole career.

Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:40 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
He was definitely a good player, but some values seem kind of overrated to me. From what I saw, his long passes were more about power and speed rather than accuracy, he tried them constantly and most of them didn't find their target, but they were often hit distances of 70 or 80 yards. I also didn't see him using his left foot very often. And while he sometimes went forward, and he had an excellent scoring record for a defender, I saw him more like a libero that dictates the play from deeper positions rather than the "Dutch Beckenbauer" that carves through the opposition with quick 1-2 passes and driving forward with dribbles.

These are some changes I'd suggest:

TS: 79 > 77
ACC: 78 > 76
LPA: 84 > 80
LPS: 82 > 84
AGG: 78 > 74
WFA: 7 > 6
WFF: 7 > 5
Remove 1-Touch Play

Maybe I'd drop DEF, STA and RES by a point too. It's a shame that he had such strong competition during his time that he couldn't win more caps for the national team, but maybe he also benefitted from being the main man in Den Haag. It's worth noting that the Big 3 also had sweepers that were better than him in Israel, Blankenburg and Van Kraay so I don't think it's surprising that he stayed at Den Haag for almost his whole career.

Thanks Stuart for the feedback. I had a closer look again and compared them to some of the contemporaries with a similar style of play. I can agree that some points are overrated. Long pass accuracy is definitely one that's a high value for him, I agree on the 80 score, as well as rising his LPS. I can't recall now why I've put such high values for his left foot but I saw under my game notes that he "uses both legs well". Again I would agree that 7,7 are too high values for WFA and WFF.

Regarding his runs forward, what I've managed to dig up (that's now so well seen in the videos) is that in the younger years of his set he was very often surging forward and leaving his libero spot, but as he gained international caps and got older he gradually stopped doing that and more often launched long balls from the back. I guess that 78 for aggression is a higher value but I would keep it at least in green giving a 75 total. Speed and acceleration were affected due to his serious ankle injury so lowering them on average is something I can agree with.

I'll drop DEF, STA and RES, it makes complete sense. Also I think giving him 1-touch play was a bit too much from my end so I'm definitely removing it :)

I'll make the necessary changes and update the set

Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:44 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]