Covering

CARDS:
P04 - Darting Run
S09 - Covering

Growth Type: Standard
Attack/Defence Awareness: Balanced

Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:38 pm
Profile WWW

Watched him recently and updated my set in consequence. Here as well, some values like DEF, RES, all shooting stats, MEN & TW are too high, especially DEF since he was an attacking side back, although good in defence but not worth a so high value, he was slightly better than today's Dani Alves for example or maybe comparable to Cafu in that aspect.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:03 pm
Profile WWW

Altough he was an attacking winger in the beginning of his career, R. Neto became in the late 70s the best defensive sideback in Brazil, and it was the main reason he was in the WC78, since Coutinho trust him in defensive tasks.
I agree to revise some atributes you mentioned since I don´t see him for a long time but keep his DEF clearly above the others brazilians SBs. He was not that offensive IMO, nothing like Daniel Alves, since he played in Fluminense that had strong players in the left (Dirceu, Rivelino), he became more and more expert in marking and reduced his participation in attack, so AGG should reflect that too.
By the way, it would be nice to have a set of his early years in left wing playing for Flamengo ;) .

Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:12 pm

Yes like I said, he wasn't bad in defending but his attacking skills were still more praised than his defence (even by the brazilian comentators on the games), most of the time he was a back-up in the Seleção. In these 70's side backs I watched in a regular basis so far, here's my ranking in ATT/DEF (I rank them here by the highest DEF to the lowest DEF):

Everaldo: 72/80 (might be a bit overdue but he was the one who impressed me defensively in the backline in 70)
Edinho: 72/78 (while used as a LB in 78, although he shouldn't be listed here as he was a CB playing out of his natural position, which he did well by the way. I don't know why Zagallo used Rodrigues Neto after few games, but Neto proved to be a good choice too.)
Carlos Alberto: 80/75
Zé Maria: 75/69 (he could claim 70 as well), very strong and good on both sides of the pitch.
Rodigues Neto: 75/68 (maybe could claim 70 too, but I wouldn't go higher, I agree he was more balanced than Carlos Alberto, Zé Maria, Marco Antônio or Toninho when helping on attack, but I still see his AGG around 79/80)
Marco Antônio: 77/66 (the most attack-minded of them all alongside Marinho Chagas and Carlos Alberto who is in a class of his own, for me the best right back of Brazil over Cafu and Jalma Santos)
Nelinho: 75/66
Marinho Chagas: 80/65 (The most classy Brazilian side back I've ever seen - yes above Nilton Santos, Branco or R. Carlos if we talk about LB - only he couldn't be consistent over the years to show all his talent, and some times his defending was "shaky" but then R. Carlos or Marcelo are worse than him and nobody says much about them. I think Marinho was a kinda "collateral damage" because he couldn't get along with Emerson Leão in particular. Although Leão was a great player (in my top 3 Brazilian keepers), he was/is known to be a shitty person and he was the captain after 74 so I guess he had his word to say about the team...until Telê Santana dropped him in 82 probably because these 2 couldn't get along either, otherwise I don't see how a country like Brazil ended up with Valdir Peres in the goal when they had Leão...)
Toninho Baiano: 77/64

I try to benchmark my ratings (in all aspects, not only DEF) with the current similar players because otherwise we tend to overrate the classics in general, that's why I talked about Dani Alves or Cafu, I could have talked about Marcelo too who is decent nowadays, if you take a look at these players (even R. Carlos), these guys are rated around 63-68 in DEF by Konami.
A consistent player like Javier Zanetti for example, I have him rated on ATT: 77/DEF: 70 for his prime, and I see Zanetti better than Neto in term of pure defence...

Last edited by MagicDip on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:36 pm
Profile WWW

Your rank is very good. Just concerning the DEF aspect I separated this text of Placar Magazine 25\march\1973 because it talks about a match between the Seleção and a combinado Vasco\Botafogo. Marinho Chagas was playing for the NT and Rodrigues Neto was the LB of the combinado. Accord to the text the diference was pretty big.

"Marinho não se encontrava numa noite especialmente feliz. Foi envolvido repetidas vezes pela dupla Fumanchu-Perivaldo. Pelo combinado, aparecia o contraste: Rodrigues Neto dominava seu setor com segurança, desarmando Gil, socorrendo os zagueiros e atacando com perigo, ora em tabela com Dé, pela ponta, ora em investidas pela quina da grande área, uma de suas jogadas características: dali, com dribles curtos e secos, ele costumava limpar o lance para chutes vigorosos tanto com pé direito como pé esquerdo. Nessa noite em mais de um lance, Zé Maria precisou contar com a cobertura de Amaral ou Cerezo, depois de batido por Rodrigues com seus comes desconcertantes e suas passadas largas.
Rodrigues Neto tem sobre Marinho a vatagem de dificilmente ser surpreendido por lançamentos pelas costas. Além de atacar com a mesma eficiência, ele é melhor no combate quando o adversário ataca."

"Marinho was not in a particularly happy night. He was involved repeatedly by Fumanchu-Perivaldo. For the combined, we could see the contrast: Rodrigues Neto dominated his sector with security, dispossessing Gil, helping the centerbacks and attacking with danger, sometimes in one-twos with Dé in the flank, other times cutting to the edge of the box, one of his main characteristics. From that place, with short and sudden dribbles, he cleared the ball and ended with violent shots with both feet. More than once that night, Zé Maria had to count with covering from Amaral or Cerezo, after being beated by Rodrigues and his unsettling dribbles and large strides.
Rodrigues Neto have over Marinho the advantage of hardly being surprised by long passes in his back. In addition to attacking with the same efficiency, he is better in defending when the adversary attacks."

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Yes, Marinho's main problems: Inconsistency, lack of discipline (and then alcoholism...) but when it comes to talent, he had plenty. Rodrigues Neto was more a hard worker, and we're talking about Brazilian side backs here, each of them had enough offensive talent to be as good as a winger.

EDIT: Glavisted's ranking about Brazilian side backs on his classic Brazil all stars: Makes sense to me overall.

Spoiler: show
RIGHT BACKS:

1 DJALMA SANTOS
2 CARLOS ALBERTO
3 CAFÚ
4 LEANDRO
5 DANI ALVES
6 MAICON
7 NELINHO
8 JORGINHO
9 DE SORDI
10 ZÉ MARÍA
11 JOSIMAR
12 HUMBERTO - Humberto Monteiro

LEFT BACKS:

1 NÍLTON SANTOS
2 ROBERTO CARLOS
3 JÚNIOR
4 MARINHO CHAGAS
5 BRANCO
6 EVERALDO
7 MARCO ANTÔNIO
8 WLADIMIR
9 RILDO
10 RODRIGUES NETO
11 DALMO
12 ORECO

Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:51 pm
Profile WWW

Marinho was really skillfull, and had some good stories too. What a figure he was.
I will leave to you what to do here. I really don´t see the necessity of two sets for the same era and both very similars. So if you want to delete mine or merge them I don´t mind. Like I said, a set around early 70s would be cool, but I couldn´t make because I don´t seen much footage.
By the way, there are some missing good sidebacks in that era that deserve stats, like Pedrinho, Perivaldo, Eurico (strong DEF), Gilberto Sorriso, Rosemiro (the least DEF and most agressive of all), especially Pedrinho who was in the WC82 ;) .

Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Well, I don't wanna mess with your work and I don't pretend my views to be the truth about him. Keep your set and update what you fit necessary.
About an earlier version of him, I don't know is there's anything available on the net to be able to watch him...
I might give a try for Eurico, since I have some material concerning Palmeiras back to when I was working on Ademir, César or Leivinha, but I don't got much. The others you're mentioning I only know some by name, Pedriho would be a good addition to complete the 82 team, but then again is there anything concerning him available online? I'm not sure...

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

I´m gonna rewatch some matches and made some changes when I have the time. About Pedrinho there´s a lot of matches, 3 or 4 for the NT and some other 5 or 6 for Palmeiras and Vasco. I can send you the links if you want. About Eurico I´m more familiar with his Grêmio years but he was called to NT when he was playing in Palmeiras, I guess.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:46 pm

OK. About Pedrinho, yes I'm interested :)

Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:54 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]