Weak Foot Accuracy: 4
Weak Foot Frequency: 5
Consistency: 7
Growth Type: Standard

CARDS:

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Side

Attack/Defence Awareness: Balanced

INFO:

Georges Heylens was the long time starting right back for Belgium and Anderlecht for much of the 60s and into the early 70s. He was a solid attacking full back with good technique and aerial ability despite his short height. He was also quick, especially over short distances, and comfortable when passing the ball. While he wasn't the most talented defender around, he was reliable and could be counted on to do his job every match. His main job on the pitch was to carry the ball forward with his good dribbling and start attacks, and he had a strong partnership with Léon Semmeling down Belgium's right side. Also notable was that he famously wore a wig on the pitch, and was paid to do so by a wig manufacturing company. Overall he wasn't the most spectacular player around but he served both Anderlecht and Belgium well for over a decade. Of all the Belgian right backs, only Eric Gerets has more caps for the country.

Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:19 am

I think those stats are very wrong,In his play days,he was a world class player,he really has a high peak!
English journalist Hallam Gordon selected him as the 9th Greatest right-back of the past 25 years(1958-1983) in 1983.

Detailed Ranking
1. Djalma Santos, 2. Tarchisio Burgnich, 3. Berti Vogts, 4. Carlos Alberto, 5. Eric Gerets, 6. Claudio Gentile, 7. Jimmy Armfield, 8. Luis Ubina, 9. Georges Heylens, 10. Horst-Dieter Hottges

I can’t imagine he play with those low stats?he look like a normal player who was not good at defend and attack,also he should have a very good stamina,84 was too low for him, 90 plus for sure!

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:47 pm

This set is based on watching full matches, and I didn’t see anything amazing from him, he just seemed to me to be a pretty solid player who got by on consistency and reliability rather than any sort of world class ability. IMO he was clearly not as good as Van Binst. About STA I have to disagree, I saw a few occasions where he would go forward and then take quite a long time to get back to his position when Belgium lost the ball, almost jogging back. Maybe this is because the majority of the matches were at Mexico 1970 where it was incredibly hot, but I can only rate based on what I’ve seen.

I also read a little about what his teammates said about him, and the most I could find was just them calling him a “solid right back”. Of course he deserves his legendary status for both Anderlecht and Belgium for his long service but if I compare him to other RBs of the era he doesn’t really stand out to me.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:50 pm

Actually a SB with mid yellow value for STA, both speed stats + DS in yellow, decent HEA/JUM values, CON/CONS 7 and RES 78 will still be a pretty decent allround SB in game, no matter if he has white values for ATT/DEF (and even in that case it's 72/70, not 62/60).

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:18 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Actually a SB with mid yellow value for STA, both speed stats + DS in yellow, decent HEA/JUM values, CON/CONS 7 and RES 78 will still be a pretty decent allround SB in game, no matter if he has white values for ATT/DEF (and even in that case it's 72/70, not 62/60).

Exactly, he’ll be able to go forward effectively while dribbling, while not being a huge threat on the overlap (something he didn’t do very often in the matches I saw, since he had Semmeling in front of him and sometimes Puis switching sides, both of whom liked to cross from deeper positions). He had pretty good long passes but they were mostly down the line to his winger rather than into the box. His real strength was his driving runs from deep positions to carry the ball forward, which I think this set reflects; he wasn’t Zanetti, no need for him to have super high stats in every area.

Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:38 pm

I must say his peak year is during 1962~1968 with great stamina and good attack quality! Firstly he was left midfielder then switch to the back line,he was a tireless and strong player, with good speed and good defensive perception.he can make some assist,but the style is make short pass to the teamate,not the long pass run into the deep line.like a libero
also he had a good defensive and attack quality ,which make him diffcult to be conquered! In 1970 world cup,his age can't apply the his kick style during the past,so he became a average player,nothing special...
but during the whole career ,he was the second best right back for sure in this country ,only after gerets ! he was underrated!

suggestion:
attack 75~76 defense 74~75 stamina 90+ short pass 80~82 short pass speed 80
also speed can be a little higher maybe 83

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:21 am

zebrajay2008 wrote:
I must say his peak year is during 1962~1968 with great stamina and good attack quality! Firstly he was left midfielder then switch to the back line,he was a tireless and strong player, with good speed and good defensive perception.he can make some assist,but the style is make short pass to the teamate,not the long pass run into the deep line.like a libero
also he had a good defensive and attack quality ,which make him diffcult to be conquered! In 1970 world cup,his age can't apply the his kick style during the past,so he became a average player,nothing special...
but during the whole career ,he was the second best right back for sure in this country ,only after gerets ! he was underrated!

suggestion:

Your feedback is really helpful. However you can see that this set is based on the period that goes from the late 1960s to the World Cup. If you really believe that he was better in the first half of the 1960s, you may suggest a second set. It would be wrong to give him here stats that would fit a different period of his career.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:28 am

also France Football their all-time list (August 1984)
Heylens was the 10th
Full-backs:

1. Nilton Santos (Brazil)
2. Facchetti (Italy)
3. Breitner (West Germany)
4. Carlos Alberto (Brazil)
5. Bossis (France)
6. Djalma Santos (Brazil)
6. Jusufi (Yugoslavia)
8. Cabrini (Italy)
9. Marzolini (Argentina)
10. Heylens (Belgium)

IFBs top 300 legends (1983)
Heylens was in the list

Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:37 am

If there were full matches available from the mid 60s I’d feel more comfortable giving him higher stats (assuming he deserves them), but as it is, I’d prefer to make players based on the matches available rather than based on periods where I haven’t seen them play. Those suggestions could be accurate, but I trust what I’ve seen with my own eyes. Maybe he deserves another set but I’d rather leave that to someone with more expertise in Belgian football (or that speaks French/Dutch, I couldn’t find much apart from some quotes from teammates about him that I had to translate).

Anyway, if you’re Belgian, then I’d appreciate any suggestions on my sets for Van Binst and Broos too, I wasn’t 100% certain about some things like secondary positions.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:09 am

StuartBannigan wrote:

Exactly, he’ll be able to go forward effectively while dribbling, while not being a huge threat on the overlap (something he didn’t do very often in the matches I saw, since he had Semmeling in front of him and sometimes Puis switching sides, both of whom liked to cross from deeper positions). He had pretty good long passes but they were mostly down the line to his winger rather than into the box. His real strength was his driving runs from deep positions to carry the ball forward, which I think this set reflects; he wasn’t Zanetti, no need for him to have super high stats in every area.

DEF>ATT
AGG on whites
Cards are hard to give, he in theory should be given Darting Run

Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:29 pm

El Capo wrote:
DEF>ATT
AGG on whites
Cards are hard to give, he in theory should be given Darting Run

Not sure about DEF>ATT, he was clearly more focused on attacking than defending, giving support to the attacking line, while he wasn’t really anything special while defending, mostly just using his speed to harass the wingers and trying to block crosses instead of going into tackles or dropping deeper on defence (basically if you split the field into quarters, he was active in the middle half of the pitch, while not often venturing into the first or last quarter of the pitch). Maybe he could get lower AGG but I’d still keep that on green.

Darting Run is a possibility, as is Dribbling. He had some pretty nice runs with the ball, although these were mostly just driving forward in a straight line, hence the lower AGI (for a small player).

Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:38 pm

zebrajay2008 wrote:

suggestion:

One tip for the future: If you want people to accept your suggestions, always back them up with a source, for example a link where you found the information or if it's taken from a book, then at least put the quote and the book you got it from.
This is a quote on Heylens from one of my books (Les Diables Rouges):

Quote:
The 60s will also be very important for the national team. Georges Heylens becomes a monument
on the right flank. At the time, it was said that Yves Baré (FC Liégeois) held more pure class, but Georges Heylens' ambition, speed, intelligence and will to win made the difference. It happened that Yves Baré was aligned on the left but, in general, Anderlecht had a man on the right back
(Heylens) and another on the other side: Jean Cornelis.

This description already fits pretty well to Stuart's set, only higher value for MEN would IMO be debatable here (I don't see him four points under Piot tbh). What I don't understand is why a SB who apparently wasn't a big contributor to his team attack (neither with goals or crosses) needs green value for ATT, his offensive runs are already represented by green value for AGG (what I would keep). STA also don't needs to be in orange, after all Heylens' willpower is praised, not his endurance.

Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:03 pm

Yeah I’d keep AGG like it is now. I’m not sure about MEN, I didn’t see anything special there, or from any of the Belgian players in 1970 to be honest, totally inferior to Mexico in that regard, which is the main reason they were eliminated, aside from being totally outclassed by the Soviets. Piot seemed like a good leader though and was the one trying to organise the defence, although sometimes maybe “exaggerating” with his saves (maybe he could have 81 or 82 instead there). That defence had good individual players (especially Thissen, maybe even the best Belgian LB from what I’ve seen) but they were kind of disorganised, which is why Heylens has green TMW despite his supportive style of play.

I wish I was better at actually playing this game so I could play test this properly :lol: But I think this set is pretty decent, maybe just Darting Run needed like El Capo suggested.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:40 pm

Changed some values thanks to Milos.

Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]