Growth type: Standard/Lasting

CARDS:
S07 - Man Marking
S08 - Slide Tackle
S09 - Covering
S10 - DF Leader

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Covering - D-Line Control - Sliding - Marking

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defensive-Minded

INFO: Big Ron Yeats was a brutish centre-back who spent a decade at Merseyside club Liverpool, during which time, he captained the club to 3 trophies. Bill Shankly described Ron's arrival at the club as being "the turning point" as Liverpool began their role as the dominant side in English football. Yeats won the League title in 1963-64 and won the FA Cup the following year, which was Liverpool's first ever win of that title, then won the League title again the year after that. Liverpool struggled to gain any traction in Europe during Ron's captaincy, having lost the UEFA Cup Winner's Cup in 1966 to Borussia Dortmund, and also losing in the second round of the 1966-67 European Cup to Cruyff's outstanding Ajax team. Ron Yeats finished his career at Liverpool having made 454 appearances for the club.

Last edited by James9408 on Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:53 am
Profile WWW

his Stats look solid, very accurate, well done Stats!

Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:12 am

He weighed 92 kg. The set in general looks well created, but I'd change some values. He struggled to reach opponents when already on the run but could make nice short sprints to anticipate a ball by running in straight lines and put his physique in front of his opponent. From a defensive standpoint, his best asset was his tackling. His tackles were quite hard but always timely as he never intended to hurt his opponent. He could play as centre half in the middle of the half-back line, role he filled especially in the early 1960s. In fact, in such occasions he could be seen covering the ground in front of the full-back line, waiting for an opponent to come so that he could make a tackle. When he played in a three-men defence though, Yeats was occupied in marking the centre forward, sometimes led by his opponent to move a bit from his position, so the two side-backs were the ones to cover the space behind him. This move was quite effective for the opponents because when a striker managed to draw Yeats to cover on the side or forward instead, it was possible for the striker to deliver a cross given that the side-backs, while being good defenders, didn't have the same covering ability as Yeats. I believe that's the main reason why a fourth defender was needed in the back-line, who happened to be Tommy Smith, who was much more comfortable in going forward. Of the 16 goals he scored for Liverpool, almost all of them came from headers, some apparently being quite excellent. However, he also scored a few right-footed volleys even though he was a natural left-footed. In fact, he used the left foot to hook up the leg of his opponent or the ball off him, and for that reason he could defend well on the right too (I don't mean to say that he played as right-back). Yeats himself was well aware of his technical limitations, and he surely wasn't the one to distribute the ball or build up the play from the back. As soon as he got the ball, he got rid of it as soon as he could by passing it to the teammate who was the nearest to him. A report mentions that he took a free kick in one match but it was totally crap. That said, I suggest:
- switch TS and ACC
- RES 86 because, in my opinion, his positioning and pure defence were excellent but his timing was even better
- DS not higher than 69
- LPA 67-68
- SA and ST on low 60s but ST higher than SA, something like 62-63 and 64
- FKA can be even lower and WFA on 5
- HEA can go up to 85-86
- TW yellow makes no sense, but I'd go on low green
- both Slide Tackle and Marking special abilities are needed here
- era could be 1963-1968, so you cover the 1963-64 First Division winning season and five years where he made at least 50 appearances
- 1970 was his last notable year, then he had one last year as a reserve and several seasons in lower leagues, although he retired in 1978, so maybe his Growth/Type can be Standard/Lasting but surely not Early/Lasting

Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:31 pm

I was worried you'd get to my set :lol:

I will make the adjustments when I next get on my computer.

I only based it off what I've read and my assumptions aren't as finely tuned as yours haha. In regards TW I didnt think yellow was accurate but I never got round to altering it

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:23 pm
Profile WWW

James9408 wrote:
I was worried you'd get to my set :lol:

I will make the adjustments, I only based it off what I've read and my assumptions aren't as finely tuned as yours haha. In regards TW I didnt think yellow was accurate but I never got round to altering it

I used to believe that TW referred to how a player generally helps the team, but its explanation is "The ability to work together with teammates. He will get into good positions to receive passes from teammates". So, I'm sure it's related to ball distribution rather than anything else. Anyway, your set was a good base. The written text explain well what he used to be, which I saw in some games from the 1960s. As you said, it just needs some adjustments.

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:31 pm

Yeh I'm always unsure of what TW actually does, based on what you said 85 is definitely unnecessary. I should probably look at my Tommy Smith set... I bet its a complete mess :lol:

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

James9408 wrote:
Yeh I'm always unsure of what TW actually does, based on what you said 85 is definitely unnecessary. I should probably look at my Tommy Smith set... I bet its a complete mess :lol:

Tommy Smith definitely deserves yellow value. He could both get into position to receive a pass or make a pass himself. He even took free kicks, from which not only he scored but also delivered crosses. I'll get to his set too. Anyway, I was checking some Konami old sets and I noticed that several centre backs who have +80 HEA or at least decent passing stats or both things, have also yellow TW. I wouldn't give Yeats yellow, but the low green that I suggested seems harsh. I'd go for 78. I'm not sure about orange value for MEN as it seems too high, while high yellow should be enough. I would also raise BB to 94 since he was the kind of defender who always challenged his opponent physically to make up for his lack of pace, winning the battle most of the times. His massive size and impressive strength made many forwards keep moving to avoid him even when the ball seemed out of play.

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Updated with suggestions from Interista93

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]