CARDS:
P03 - Trickster
P05 - Mazing Run
P07 - Early Cross
S04 - PK Taker

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Dribbling - Passing - Scoring - Side - Penalties

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:
Hancocks was a right winger or outside right who played mostly for Wolverhampton, always at high levels, between 1946 and 1957. He scored 168 goals in 378 matches for the Wolves − set an incredible scoring record for a winger − and 2 goals in 3 caps for England. Hancocks was a very short player but had strength and determination for a man his size; he was incredibly skillful and his dribblings were a trouble for the full-backs who marked him; he was gifted with a tremendous powerful shot in both feet, especially from free kicks and penalties which were his specialties; he was renowned − alongside his teammate Jimmy Mullen − for his speed and the accuracy of his long raking crosses; focused on the attack, his dashes down the flank combined to thunderous shots made the actions of Wolverhampton characteristic. One thing though annoyed the fans: sometimes he hold the ball for too long.

https://youtu.be/Xodt9RtJzJQ Short documentary about Hancocks.

Last edited by Interista93 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Thanks for the stats but tbh this set definitely needs changes:
Why such a short era? He was constant performer in the Wolves team for years, including beeing fourth best goalscorer of the league in 1954 (25 goals in 42 matches) and second best goalscorer of the league in 1955 (26 goals in 32 matches)..
Why has he 87 for TMW? Only because he played as SS (do you have any info on that, didn't found anything on that)?
He was classic right winger, mainly known for his powerful strikes, good crosses (although definitely not good enough to deserve those values you gave him) and not a playmaker. Tbh 77 (like Matthews or Czibor for example) would be the max he should have, even players like Hans Schäfer or Lennart Skoglund (who actually had playmaking abilities despite mainly playing as wingers) have only 82 there. Actually he was sometimes even critized for holding the ball too long:
Quote:
Sometimes the home crowd at Molineux might grow impatient if he appeared to hold on to the ball too long but, in general, they took him warmly to their hearts

Quote:
"He was fast and tricky and packed a terrific shot in his right foot

Why only 81 for DA? I honestly can't imagine that Stan Cullis was a better dribbler than him, also DS and AGI could be higher..

FKA 75? He was excellent free kick taker, this value doesn't represent Hancocks' qualities in that aspect..

Quote:
He was an instant hit, his strength and determination compensating amply for lack of inches, but it was his ability to strike the ball crisply that took the eye. Thunderous shots, especially from free- kicks, were his speciality - his final tally of 158 goals in 343 League games was remarkable for a flank man - and his expertise in delivering long, raking crosses was another telling factor in the team's success.

Quote:
Johnny stood just 5 ft 4 ins tall, weighed around 10 stone and wore a size 2 boot, yet he could unleash some rocketing shots especially from dead-ball situations. He could occupy either flank but the right hand side was undoubtedly his best. When he was 15 he served with Oakengates Town and then in 1938 he turned professional with Walsall, who had been following his progress since 1934. During the war he became a P.T. Instructor in the Army and had several games for the Western Command and Army sides in various friendly matches. He also played from time to time for the Saddlers and when available guested for a few clubs.

Quote:
"Zu den Stärken des kampfbetont agierenden dreifachen englischen Nationalspielers zählte ein besonders harter Schuss bei Freistößen und seine Torgefährlichkeit...
Seine Torgefährlichkeit demonstrierte er – vor allem als Freistoß- und Elfmeterschütze – in der anschließenden Saison 1947/48, als er gemeinsam mit Jesse Pye bester Vereinstorschütze war und sich somit in den Fokus der englischen Nationalmannschaft spielte

He also needs Penalties as Card/Special Ability.
AGG also needs to be higher, he was always pushing forward and should have similar value as other wingers from that time (for Hancocks I'd even consider 90/91 as fitting value).
CON/CONS also should be higher, he always belonged to the Wolves players with most appearance per season, including all 42 games in their championship winning season in 1953/1954..
Regarding WFA/WFF: are you really sure about that high values? Couldn't find anything about that in my sources but maybe I missed it..
Regarding S.A.: I'm not sure if he deserves Passing (if I'm not wrong this rather applies for players that were good in short passing), on the other hand Reaction, Penalties and Middle Shooting should be added here..

Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm

What era do you suggest? 1948-55?
About TW I thought a high value would suit him because he used to give many assists so I considered him as a player who worked well with his teammates but I may have mistaken this value.
About dribbling and free kicks I didn't find any info about so thanks for clearing these aspects.
In the video I posted it's said that he unleashed tremendous shots with both feet.
I thought passing was applied to short passes but I wasn't sure.
For the rest I will change what you suggest and thanks! :)

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 pm

General update.

Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]