Growth type: Early Peak

CARDS:
S07 - Man Marking
S09 - Covering

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Dribbling - Marking - Covering

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Balanced

Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:15 pm
Profile WWW

Sorry, i thought el capo's message was the last one but i will keep it because i think it is relevant.

Regarding the actually last message, he is obvisiouly underrated here. Specially in response. 75 for a defender of his class cant be right.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:52 pm
Profile WWW

Bola Clássica wrote:
Sorry, i thought el capo's message was the last one but i will keep it because i think it is relevant.

Regarding the actually last message, he is obvisiouly underrated here. Specially in response. 75 for a defender of his class cant be right.

You can add 3-5 points in both Def and Res, but that's it. He wasn't fast, strong or any kind of a playmaking defender. Those stats aren't very far from the stats I have in my OF.

Just for reference:

Spoiler: show
Attack: 66
Defence: 93
Balance: 83
Stamina: 78
Top Speed: 73
Acceleration: 70
Response: 79
Agility: 73
Dribble Accuracy: 84
Dribble Speed: 72
Short Pass Accuracy: 79
Short Pass Speed: 72
Long Pass Accuracy: 73
Long Pass Speed: 71
Shot Accuracy: 60
Shot Power: 73
Shot Technique: 63
Free Kick Accuracy: 63
Curling: 67
Header: 86
Jump: 84
Technique: 83
Aggression: 70
Mentality: 77
Keeper Skills: 50
Teamwork: 92

Condition/Fitness: 6
Weak Foot Accuracy: 5
Weak Foot Frequency: 5

S07 - Man Marking
S09 - Covering
But I think DF Leader and Slide Tackle are debatable.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:17 pm

jcklein wrote:
You can add 3-5 points in both Def and Res, but that's it. He wasn't fast, strong or any kind of a playmaking defender. Those stats aren't very far from the stats I have in my OF.

He surely was a great defender but he wasn't Baresi, Moore or Maldini to name a few. I don't think he deserves higher DEF which is already excellent on 90. On the other hand, I can't see any defender, not even a slow one, with RES 75, unless we're talking about an actual weak or semi-unknown player, and Domingos was neither of those. Higher RES is fine but with his current DEF, technical and aerial skills make him a more than valid defender.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:33 pm

Interista93 wrote:
jcklein wrote:

He surely was a great defender but he wasn't Baresi, Moore or Maldini to name a few. I don't think he deserves higher DEF which is already excellent on 90. On the other hand, I can't see any defender, not even a slow one, with RES 75, unless we're talking about an actual weak or semi-unknown player, and Domingos was neither of those. Higher RES is fine but with his current DEF, technical and aerial skills make him a more than valid defender.

Baresi, Maldini and Moore should all have red values for Def. A value of 93 is completely fair considering he doesn't excel too much in other aspects but is still regarded as the greatest brazilian defender ever by most pundits and jornalists. About Res, I think 82 might be the highest possible value for him, being very generous. 79-80 is more accurate IMO, but opinions may vary and I'm fine with that.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:48 pm

Interista93 wrote:
jcklein wrote:

That's exactly it!

He surely has not to be compared with the top ever defenders in the world but still has to be compared with the best ever defenders from Brazil.

Only an increase in response is enough. As he was a typical Brazilian defender, not exactly the defender's stats have to be high but an overall great player, what is already here.

The only thing that calls the attention is the really low response value.

Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 pm
Profile WWW

Bola Classica is there any newspaper archive website active at your country, so you could crosscheck these stats with some possible descriptions found? Probably that's the safest way to find out, alongside some bibliography of course. Not to say we can't trust any info found on the internet, at blogspots or anywhere else.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:42 am

FanisJK7 wrote:
Bola Classica is there any newspaper archive website active at your country, so you could crosscheck these stats with some possible descriptions found? Probably that's the safest way to find out, alongside some bibliography of course. Not to say we can't trust any info found on the internet, at blogspots or anywhere else.

There is quite a lot of content about Domingos da Guia for a player of his era, but also there is a lot of fairytail about him as he was a legend who just a few people actually watched him playing. You really need to filter what you find in the internet.

Some videos which debuck some myths and give us a better idea how he actually played can be found on Youtube. Here is a few (of course they are in Portuguese but you can try the automatic translation subtitles from the platform):

This one is nice and it has a great journalist who watched him while younger. This video debucks the myth that Domingos used to dribble frequently other team's forwards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I3REVfnhX4

This one is a great documentary about him (a bit overrated though but still a nice source): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHH4C3aIXck

Here, he talks about the penalty he made against Piola at the World Cup 38: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OctFzpL4w0

Others can be found too if you looking for it deeper. Some articles are interesting too but really hard to find a credible one, overall they usually create a dribbler center-back, super technical that is not totally true.

Anyway, he was a great center-back, one of the best from the Brazil, maybe the best one.

Besides that, him alongside Leônidas da Silva are the players from older past better known among Brazilians. So, the ones who really love football in Brazil heard a lot about him and have already an idea about Domingos style of play.

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 pm
Profile WWW

I finally got a decent source about Domingos. Text written by Marcos de Castro compilation in Gigantes do Futebol Brasileiro, book published in 1965.

PS: this book is not about to create legends and mystical stories about old footballers. It is about to inform and report the greatest Brazilian players' carrers and style of play.

-----------

Regarding chosen period here (1935-1940):

He was never a player of Vasco. He played for Vasco in 32, Nacional-URU 33, Vasco 34.

In 35, he played for Boca Juniors until July 36 when he was suspended by the argentinian federation.

(During that period in Boca, he was allowed by the club to play one game for Vasco during his vacations time in Brazil in 36, a friendly match against Huracán-ARG).

Due to suspension, he played officially at Flamengo from August 36 until january 37 and came back to Boca after 6 months suspension expire.

In 37, from February until October he played for Boca and after an argument with the club and for having been punished with a fee, he came back again for playing for Flamengo and stayed until 44.

Regarding stats:

Again, response is not consistent with his level.

I also would boost his SPS for something around 75/76.

Apart of that I dont see much to change. It pretty much reflects his style.

PS: He is much more about a positioning CB with huge game understanding and vision than a "hunting" player. Very technical and a bit slow.

-----------

After all, I just have to say it again: He was (no doubts) easily the best CB ever from Brazil.

Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3