:ITA: Federico MUNERATI
:POL: Zbigniew BONIEK
:ITA: Gianluca VIALLI
:ARG: Paulo DYBALA
:ITA: Fabrizio RAVANELLI
:ITA: Filippo INZAGHI

Formation

HISTROICAL SQUADS AND INFO:

Juventus were founded as Sport Club Juventus in late 1897 by pupils from the Massimo D'Azeglio Lyceum school in Turin, but were renamed as Foot-Ball Club Juventus two years later. The club joined the Italian Football Championship during 1900. During this period the team wore a pink and black kit. Juventus first won the league championship in 1905 while playing at their Velodromo Umberto I ground. By this time the club colours had changed to black and white stripes, inspired by English side Notts County.

There was a split at the club in 1906, after some of the staff considered moving Juve out of Turin. President Alfredo Dick was unhappy with this and left with some prominent players to found FBC Torino which in turn spawned the Derby della Mole. Juventus spent much of this period steadily rebuilding after the split, surviving the First World War.

Fiat owner Edoardo Agnelli gained control of the club in 1923, and built a new stadium. This helped the club to its second scudetto (league championship) in the 1925–26 season beating Alba Roma with an aggregate score of 12–1, Antonio Vojak's goals were essential that season. The 1930s proved to be even more fruitful, the club won five consecutive league titles from 1930 through to 1935, most were under coach Carlo Carcano with star players such as Raimundo Orsi, Luigi Bertolini, Giovanni Ferrari and Luis Monti amongst others.

Juventus moved to the Stadio Comunale, but for the rest of the 1930s and the majority of the 1940s they were unable to recapture championship dominance.

After the Second World War, Gianni Agnelli was appointed honorary president. The club added two more league championships to its name in the 1949–50 and 1951–52 seasons, the latter of which was under the management of Englishman Jesse Carver.

Two new strikers were signed during 1957–58; Welshman John Charles and Italo-Argentine Omar Sivori, playing alongside longtime member Giampiero Boniperti. That season saw Juventus awarded with the Golden Star for Sport Excellence to wear on their shirts after becoming the first Italian side to win ten league titles. In the same season, Omar Sivori became the first ever player at the club to win the European Footballer of the Year. The following season they beat Fiorentina to complete their first league and cup double, winning Serie A and Coppa Italia. Boniperti retired in 1961 as the all-time top scorer at the club, with 182 goals in all competitions, a club record which stood for 45 years.

During the rest of the decade the club won the league just once more in 1966–67, However, the 1970s saw Juventus further solidify their strong position in Italian football. Under former player Čestmír Vycpálek they won the scudetto in 1971–72 and 1972–73, with players such as Roberto Bettega, Franco Causio and José Altafini breaking through. During the rest of the decade they won the league twice more, with defender Gaetano Scirea contributing significantly. The later win was under Giovanni Trapattoni, who helped the club's domination continue on into the early part of the 1980s.

The Trapattoni-era was highly successful in the 1980s; the club started the decade off well, winning the league title three more times by 1984.[24] This meant Juventus had won 20 Italian league titles and were allowed to add a second golden star to their shirt, thus becoming the only Italian club to achieve this.[28] Around this time the club's players were attracting considerable attention; Paolo Rossi was named European Footballer of the Year following his contribution to Italy's victory in the 1982 FIFA World Cup, where he was named player of the tournament.

Frenchman Michel Platini was also awarded the European Footballer of the Year title for three years in a row; 1983, 1984 and 1985, which is a record. Juventus are the only club to have players from their club winning the award in four consecutive years. Indeed it was Platini who scored the winning goal in the 1985 European Cup final against Liverpool, however this was marred by a tragedy which changed European football. The Heysel Stadium disaster, in which 39 people (mostly Juventus fans) were killed when a stadium wall collapsed, has been called by UEFA Chief Executive Lars-Christer Olsson in 2004, "the darkest hour in the history of the UEFA competitions", and resulted in the banning of all English clubs from European competition.

With the exception of winning the closely contested Italian Championship of 1985–86, the rest of the 1980s were not very successful for the club. As well as having to contend with Diego Maradona's Napoli, both of the Milanese clubs, Milan and Internazionale, won Italian championships. In 1990, Juventus moved into their new home, the Stadio delle Alpi, which was built for the 1990 World Cup.

Marcello Lippi took over as Juventus manager at the start of the 1994–95 campaign. His first season at the helm of the club was a successful one, as Juventus recorded their first Serie A championship title since the mid-1980s. The crop of players during this period featured Ciro Ferrara, Roberto Baggio, Gianluca Vialli and a young Alessandro Del Piero. Lippi lead Juventus to the Champions League the following season, beating Ajax on penalties after a 1–1 draw in which Fabrizio Ravanelli scored for Juve.

The club did not rest long after winning the European Cup, more highly regarded players were brought into the fold in the form of Zinédine Zidane, Filippo Inzaghi and Edgar Davids. At home Juventus won Serie A in 1996–97 and 1997–98, as well as the 1996 UEFA Super Cup[33] and the 1996 UEFA / CSF Intercontinental Cup.[34] Juventus reached the 1997 and 1998 Champions League finals during this period, but lost out to Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid respectively.

After a season's absence Lippi returned, signing big name players such as Gianluigi Buffon, David Trézéguet, Pavel Nedvěd and Lilian Thuram, helping the team to two more scudetto titles in the 2001–02 and 2002–03 seasons. Juventus were also part of an all Italian Champions League final in 2003 but lost out to Milan on penalties after the game ended in a 0–0 draw. The following year, Lippi was appointed as Italy's head coach, bringing an end to one of the most fruitful managerial spells in Juventus' history.

Fabio Capello became its coach in 2004, and led Juventus to two more Serie A titles. However, in May 2006, Juventus became one of the five clubs linked to a Serie A match fixing scandal, the result of which saw the club relegated to Serie B for the first time in its history. The club was also stripped of the two titles won under Capello in 2005 and 2006.

Many key players left following the demotion to Serie B, including Thuram, star striker Zlatan Ibrahimović and defensive stalwart Fabio Cannavaro. However, other big name players such as Buffon, Del Piero and Nedvěd remained to help the club return to Serie A while youngsters from the Primavera such as Sebastian Giovinco and Claudio Marchisio were integrated into the first team. The bianconeri were promoted straight back up as league winners after the 2006–07 season while captain Del Piero claimed the top scorer award with 21 goals. Since their return to Serie A in the 2007–08 season former Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri managed Juventus for two seasons. They finished in 3rd place in their first return season (2007–08) and qualified for the third qualifying round of the 2008–09 Champions League Preliminary stages. They qualified to the group stages, and did very well, beating Real Madrid in both home and away legs, but lost in the knockout round to Chelsea. Claudio Ranieri was sacked following a string of unsuccessful results, and Ciro Ferrara was appointed as the coach for the last two games of the season.[39] Ferrara was subsequently appointed as the coach for the 2009–10 season.

Ferrara's stint as Juve head coach proved to be however unsuccessful, with Juve knocked out of UEFA Champions League and Coppa Italia, and just lying on the sixth place in the league table at the end of January 2010, leading to the dismissal of Ciro Ferrara and his replacement with Alberto Zaccheroni. Zaccheroni could not help the side improve as Juventus finished the season in 7th place in Serie A without any trophies. For the 2010–11 season Jean-Claude Blanc was replaced by Andrea Agnelli as club's president. Agnelli's first action was to replace Zaccheroni by former Sampdoria manager Luigi Delneri.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:54 pm

Doesn't Didier Deschamps deserves a place here? 1 UCL, 3 Calcios, 2 Supercups and 1 cup and not even a mention in reserves?

I think the list need some change to include modern players and the first team. All respect to the old fellas, but some of them were surpassed by the current comrades.

Parola scored wonderful goals, but two calcios and a cup qualify him to be ahead of the likes of Bonucci, Chiellini and Barzagli? All of them were part of one of Juventus' greatest generations of national dominance and played more games (and years) them him.

This also applies to Salvadore.

On other hand...i understand like Trezeguet because he stay at club after Calciopoli, but put him in front of John Charles? Paolo Rossi? In my opinion, no.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:56 pm

LOL, unaware that Trezeguet was on the main team.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:03 pm

guilermerr wrote:
Doesn't Didier Deschamps deserves a place here? 1 UCL, 3 Calcios, 2 Supercups and 1 cup and not even a mention in reserves?

I think the list need some change to include modern players and the first team. All respect to the old fellas, but some of them were surpassed by the current comrades.

Parola scored wonderful goals, but two calcios and a cup qualify him to be ahead of the likes of Bonucci, Chiellini and Barzagli? All of them were part of one of Juventus' greatest generations of national dominance and played more games (and years) them him.

This also applies to Salvadore.

On other hand...i understand like Trezeguet because he stay at club after Calciopoli, but put him in front of John Charles? Paolo Rossi? In my opinion, no.

I agree about Didier Deschamps and I'd add also Angelo Di Livio maybe instead of Moreno Torricelli.
Parola isn't there for his goals. He played over 300 matches, a lot in the 1940s. I admit though that he didn't win many titles.
Regarding Salvadore, almost 500 matches, three Scudetto, in general one of Juventus best ever defenders.
I wouldn't choose Paolo Rossi over Trézéguet. Don't consider his performance at the 1982 World Cup. It has nothing to do with his Juventus career.
If you believe that Trézéguet can stay among the reserves, I would replace him with Pietro Anastasi rather than John Charles.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:47 pm

One thought - since this team doesn't have propper side back cover, I suggest including Zambrotta in the first team. Even though he left the team after ban, his quality and contribution to their successes is great. Also, form all those nowadays defenders, I think only Chiellini can be included in the first team discussion. And I'd even go with the 8 defenders in the first team.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:05 pm
Amministratore

27DONI72 wrote:
This team should be updated, formation should be the classic italian Catenaccio so:

Goalkeeper: Buffon and Zoff OK

Defenders: Gentile right back, Cabrini left back, Scirea sweeper, Caligaris stopper. Cuccureddu reserve for both terzini, Rosetta sweeper, for the last spot for defenders I'd choose a complete defender like Salvadore better than a classic stopper like Morini.

Midfielders: Monti Med, Tardelli box to box, Platini advanced midfielder. Furino, Ferrari and Nedved on the bench.

Forwards: the most "complete" attack should be Boniperti, Sivori, Charles imho. Reserves two wings like Causio and Orsi, the other would be Del Piero, Baggio and Bettega.

Other opinions are welcome.

These were my suggestions, my thoughts are the same.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:16 pm

Zambrotta's way of leaving is exactly the reason why he shouldn't be in first team here. While Alex, Gigi and Nedved actually cared about Juve, Zambrotta and others ran away as fast as rats leaving the sinking ship. Chiello on the other hand absolutely deserves to be in first team nowadays, he's as iconic for Juve as Scirea, Gentile or Cabrini. He can easily replace Parola IMO, I also don't see him inferior in aspect to Salvadore or Rosetta. With him RB spot would be covered by Cuccureddu and Gentile and LB spot by Cabrini and Chiello, not even mentioning Salvadore and Rosetta who could play there as well.
About missing defenders: Lichsteiner should be in reserves, not Torricelli.
Regarding the striker question: Charles was better than Rossi, Anastasi and Trezeguet, that's for sure and in terms of importance for Juve I'd also rank him higher than those other guys..
Regarding the XI discussion: Sivori is in no way superior to AdP, how can the greatest icon in Juve history who carried the club over almost two decades not be considered for the formation?

Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:32 pm
Amministratore

Imho Sivori was better player than Del Piero but Alex played in Juventus for almost 20 years even if he stopped being a top class player in 1998.
Yes Chiellini should be here, he can replace Salvadore in my suggestions.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:01 pm

Ok, some CB's can cover for SB position, my suggestion was related to the fact that there are only two natural SB's in the team. Anyway, I can see that Chiellini will be welcomed to the first team.

Regarding leaving the ship. I have played some fixed matches in sunday league, when I was younger and didn't have a clue about that. Older players were included in that of course without telling us, younger ones, because of our possible outburst. One CB, one AMF and one CMF. All of them key players. It's easy with their influence on the pitch to fix the game. Funnily enough, I was a striker and I always got mad because when I'm open in front of goal, they chose another non logical option. Things were much clearer when I found out about that several years later.
Anyway, we're talking here about much much higher level, so in Juventus, that thing was probably covered up like some CIA undercover operation (obviously not a successful one). So, maybe Zambrotta wasn't part of that scandal and didn't want to suffer consequences. As I recall, Moggi was the key player in that disgrace. To be honest, I have never cared much about Calciopoli to have motivation to inform about it further.

Anyway, Chiellini is a great addition to the first team, and of course his contribution to the club is much much higher than Zambrotta's.

Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:16 pm

Guys, is fvcking Juventus, are we gonna pretend they won all of their titles in a "sportingly" manner (same as any big club in the world)?

Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:31 am
Amministratore

Imho the main reason to exclude Zambrotta from top 23 is simply he wasn't better than Cuccureddu.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:19 am

Milos wrote:
Anyway, we're talking here about much much higher level, so in Juventus, that thing was probably covered up like some CIA undercover operation (obviously not a successful one). So, maybe Zambrotta wasn't part of that scandal and didn't want to suffer consequences. As I recall, Moggi was the key player in that disgrace. To be honest, I have never cared much about Calciopoli to have motivation to inform about it further.

I think you misunderstood me, mate ;)
I didn't want to accuse Zambrotta of beeing an "active" part of that scandal, as you said it's Moggi who was mainly responsible and probably some other executives as well. I can even understand that Zambrotta left, same as Ibra, Cannavaro, Vieira or Thuram.
What was my point though is that this decision IMO separates him from beeing a true Juventus legend like those other three I mentioned + Trezeguet and Camoranesi as well. Those guys could have all left as well but they choose club over career. Zambrotta was a great Juventus player, but for me he's not Juventus all-time great. That's all.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:11 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
I think you misunderstood me, mate ;)
I didn't want to accuse Zambrotta of beeing an "active" part of that scandal, as you said it's Moggi who was mainly responsible and probably some other executives as well. I can even understand that Zambrotta left, same as Ibra, Cannavaro, Vieira or Thuram.
What was my point though is that this decision IMO separates him from beeing a true Juventus legend like those other three I mentioned + Trezeguet and Camoranesi as well. Those guys could have all left as well but they choose club over career. Zambrotta was a great Juventus player, but for me he's not Juventus all-time great. That's all.

Ok, now it's clearer to me mate ;) You're right about that, in tearms of status in the club's history, he's clearly on lower point than those who stayed.

Anyway, who should we drop for Chiellini? I think Parola and Salvadore are candidates.

Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:35 pm

I would drop both Salvadore and Parola. Chiellini and Bonucci, in my opinion, did more than enough to deserve a place in the first team.
It's true that David Trezeguet scored a lot but I would move him back to the reserves. There have been discussions about whether or not one between Pietro Anastasi and John Charles should be in the first team. If I have to be honest, I would replace the French with Felice Borel who has nearly the same amount of goals. He's considered by many as the greatest proper centre forward Juventus ever had, and the history and descriptions of him, including the fact that he was on the same level as the veterans when he wasn't even 20 years old, surely confirm that. I mean, he had scored 66 goals when he was 20 and it's not like he stopped there. Yes, he became less consistent but that was due to numerous injuries, and he still had some other remarkable seasons. If you don't agree with Borel as choice, then I'd go for Anastasi.

Regarding the reserves there are some players I would add. First of all, I don't see why Anzolin is here but not Peruzzi. I think Anzolin can stay but Peruzzi deserves as much a spot.
Among the defenders, Rino Ferrario can be dropped. The same probably goes for Spinosi too as he was a regular for a few seasons, then he became a reserve. Francesco Morini is definitely a missing name here. One of the best stoppers in Juventus history, capable of winning challenges against the likes of Riva and Boninsegna. On top of that, he was a regular for almost a decade and played nearly 400 matches. And what about Stephan Lichtsteiner? I'm aware that he wasn't as good as other names here, but he was part of the most successful Juventus side at national level and he currently holds the record of Serie A titles for a non-Italian player.

Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:05 am

Bonucci's long-lasting presence could qualify him, but at his second stint he turned into a defensive liability many times. I don't know if his legacy is consistent with a place at first team. Parola, as far as I know, was the first major backguard of the Italian fields, whatever that means. Of course there could be other canditates. Apparently I wouldn't move Trezeguet to reserves, but attacking formation could be a riddle and need further research anyways. There's no doubt Peruzzi shouldn't be missing (lately I came across his outstanding performance against AC Milan, 1-6).

Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:20 pm

FanisJK7 wrote:
Bonucci's long-lasting presence could qualify him, but at his second stint he turned into a defensive liability many times. I don't know if his legacy is consistent with a place at first team. Parola, as far as I know, was the first major backguard of the Italian fields, whatever that means. Of course there could be other canditates. Apparently I wouldn't move Trezeguet to reserves, but attacking formation could be a riddle and need further research anyways. There's no doubt Peruzzi shouldn't be missing (lately I came across his outstanding performance against AC Milan, 1-6).

I wouldn't be against keeping Parola in the first team and Bonucci in the reserves either. Regarding Trezeguet though, I don't see him superior to Anastasi and Borel when it
comes to general skills. Other than that, he has the same scoring rate as Borel, and both Borel and Anastasi were more successful than Trezeguet in terms of achievements.

Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4