FIFA World Cup

Third place (1): 1962

FIFA Confederations Cup

Runners-up (1): 2017

Copa América

Winners (2): 2015, 2016
Runners-up (4): 1955, 1956, 1979, 1987
Third place (5): 1926, 1941, 1945, 1967, 1991
Fourth place (11): 1916, 1917, 1919, 1920, 1924, 1935, 1939, 1947, 1953, 1999, 2019

COACH: :CHI: Fernando RIERA

The best ever Chilean players 23-man squad

GOALKEEPERS:

Claudio BRAVO
Sergio LIVINGSTONE

DEFENDERS:

● Antonio ARIAS
Luis EYZAGUIRRE
Elías FIGUEROA
Mauricio ISLA
Gary MEDEL
● Sergio NAVARRO
● Alberto QUINTANO

MIDFIELDERS:

Jorge ARAVENA
● Alberto FOUILLIOUX
Enrique HORMAZÁBAL
● Rubén MARCOS
● Eladio ROJAS
● Francisco VALDÉS
Arturo VIDAL

FORWARDS:

Carlos CASZELY
● Jorge ROBLEDO
Marcelo SALAS
Alexis SÁNCHEZ
Leonel SÁNCHEZ
Eduardo VARGAS
Iván ZAMORANO

RESERVES:

GOALKEEPERS:

● Misael ESCUTI
● Roberto ROJAS
Nelson TAPIA

DEFENDERS:

● Manuel ÁLVAREZ
● Humberto CRUZ
Ronald FUENTES
● Gonzalo JARA
Javier MARGAS
● Eugenio MENA
● Ulises POIRIER
Miguel RAMÍREZ
● Pedro REYES
● Raúl SÁNCHEZ

MIDFIELDERS:

● Clarence ACUÑA
● Charles ARÁNGUIZ
● Jean BEAUSEJOUR
● Marcelo DÍAZ
Matías FERNÁNDEZ
● Jaime PIZARRO
● Carlos REINOSO
José Luis SIERRA
Jorge TORO
● Jorge VALDIVIA

FORWARDS:

● Pedro ARAYA
● Atilio CREMASCHI
Juan Carlos LETELIER
● René MELÉNDEZ
● Jaime RAMÍREZ
Humberto SUAZO
Guillermo SUBIABRE
● Armando TOBAR
Raúl TORO
Patricio YÁÑEZ

THE BEST EVER XI

GK BRAVO
CB QUINTANO
SWP FIGUEROA ©
RB EYZAGUIRRE
LB ARIAS
DMF/CMF VIDAL
CMF/AMF VALDÉS
RWF A. SÁNCHEZ
LWF L. SÁNCHEZ
CF ZAMORANO
CF SALAS

Captain: Elías Figueroa | Claudio Bravo
Short free kick: Francisco Valdés | Alexis Sánchez | Leonel Sánchez
Long free kick: Francisco Valdés | Elías Figueroa | Luis Eyzaguirre
Free kick 2: Arturo Vidal
Right corner: Francisco Valdés | Leonel Sánchez
Left corner: Francisco Valdés | Alexis Sánchez | Leonel Sánchez
Penalty: Arturo Vidal | Iván Zamorano | Leonel Sánchez

INFO:
https://www.iffhs.com/posts/1304
https://www.rsssf.org/miscellaneous/chil-recintlp.html
https://www.partidosdelaroja.com/1970/01/jugadores.html

Last edited by Interista93 on Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Guys, I never suggested that Vargas should be in the first team. I just mentioned interesting fact about him.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:46 am

Milos wrote:
Guys, I never suggested that Vargas should be in the first team. I just mentioned interesting fact about him.

But it brought an interesting discussion about the criterias for being on the AS teams anyway. :lol:

Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:50 am
Profile WWW

Bola Clássica wrote:
Idk but if the club performance and player level dont mean at all, maybe Toto Schillaci should be in the reserves in Italy AS.

The players level has to mean at least something.

Of course the player's level means a lot. I was referring to the contribution a player gave to his country by playing in major clubs. That, in my opinion, can be applied to weak national teams that struggled to have their players in big clubs or had just a few.
Regarding Schillaci, he didn't do that much with Italy and even at club level he only had one great season at Juventus in 1989-90. Edu Vargas surely did a lot for Chile national team and, in fact, he's in the team. Although, Salas, Alexis Sánchez, Zamorano (to name the most recent ones) had more successful careers in general, which qualify them more than Vargas.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:02 pm

Interista93 wrote:
Bola Clássica wrote:
Idk but if the club performance and player level dont mean at all, maybe Toto Schillaci should be in the reserves in Italy AS.

The players level has to mean at least something.

Of course the player's level means a lot. I was referring to the contribution a player gave to his country by playing in major clubs. That, in my opinion, can be applied to weak national teams that struggled to have their players in big clubs or had just a few.
Regarding Schillaci, he didn't do that much with Italy and even at club level he only had one great season at Juventus in 1989-90. Edu Vargas surely did a lot for Chile national team and, in fact, he's in the team. Although, Salas, Alexis Sánchez, Zamorano (to name the most recent ones) had more successful careers in general, which qualify them more than Vargas.

Yes. I agree. Im actually more leaned than the average in the forum to consider the player's level aspect.

I always watch myself to fit in the forum standards to meet the criterias. It is a nice way to see AS teams though.

I was just giving my opinion that fit Vargas in the main team would be too much.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:12 pm
Profile WWW
Amministratore

Edu Vargas is not a one hit wonder like Grosso or Schillaci, he always had great performances in NT so IMHO the problem isn't if he'd deserve to be in first team but who remove among the Chilean legends who are in first team.

As I said I think there are already more than enough forwards, this team needs a RMF/RWF.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:16 pm

27DONI72 wrote:
As I said I think there are already more than enough forwards, this team needs a RMF/RWF.

As I said, Jaime Ramírez is probably the best option as RWF. I wouldn't mind an RMF and reduce the number of forwards in the first team to six.
However, neither the midfielders among the reserves nor the alternatives I have in my notes have a proper RMF.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:37 pm

We are talking about a forward who, regardless of what he did for clubs, did this for his NT (main criteria after all for the NT AS posting):
Milos wrote:
Average club player but when performing for the NT he transforms into the beast. Two Copa America trophies, both times included in the team of the tournament, both times competition's Top Scorers.

That's a secure spot in pretty much anywhere else.

Chile isn't Venezuela or Andorra where inevitably we must add the very best/most recognized players from their country regardless if they underperformed/didn't achieved something with the NT in order to make them 'competitive' to say the least.

Edu has played everywhere in the attack through his career, just like Alexis.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:48 pm

Bola Clássica wrote:
Milos wrote:

But it brought an interesting discussion about the criterias for being on the AS teams anyway. :lol:

What discussion about which criteria? Club performance should never be relevant for NT AS and it's the same way around for Club AS.
Btw, I also don't get why you again bring up Burruchaga after we explained to you multiple times why we included him in Argentina AS..

Milos wrote:
Regarding Chilean players from the last generation, I was always impressed by Edu Vargas. Average club player but when performing for the NT he transforms into the beast. Two Copa America trophies, both times included in the team of the tournament, both times competition's Top Scorers.

Facts. Actually it can be even extended: Average club player but when performing for the NT he transforms into the beast. Two Copa America trophies, both times included in the team of the tournament, both times competition's Top Scorers, one of only eight players with 100+ caps for Chile and their second best ever goalscorer.

This + his ability to cover multiple positions make him a no-brainer for this team IMO. And since you removed him in your reserves: Marcelo Diaz is a must.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:12 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
Milos wrote:
Regarding Chilean players from the last generation, I was always impressed by Edu Vargas. Average club player but when performing for the NT he transforms into the beast. Two Copa America trophies, both times included in the team of the tournament, both times competition's Top Scorers.

Facts. Actually it can be even extended: Average club player but when performing for the NT he transforms into the beast. Two Copa America trophies, both times included in the team of the tournament, both times competition's Top Scorers, one of only eight players with 100+ caps for Chile and their second best ever goalscorer.

This + his ability to cover multiple positions make him a no-brainer for this team IMO. And since you removed him in your reserves: Marcelo Diaz is a must.

Edu Vargas can indeed cover multiple positions and he was deployed numerous times as RWF with Chile. I guess he's a more than valid choice to replace Raúl Toro.
Marcelo Díaz surely can be in the reserves. Who could be out? In terms of accomplishment with Chile, I'd go for David or Jaime Pizarro. What do you think?

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:25 pm

As a Chilean myself, i like the work you done here Interista, is a well thinkered squad.
Maybe the only player by his performance in the NT who can get him way into the 23 man squad, is Charles Aránguiz, an absolutely fan favourite and an always underrated player.
Vargas before Russia 2018 any game he played under the red shirt of Chile, he fulfill the promise he show in la U in 2011, a killer against Spain.

Interista93 wrote:
Araya is a valid choice. Although, I prefer Jaime Ramírez who was featured as RWF in the 1962 World Cup and played also in the 1955 and 1956 Copa América.
I'd replace Raúl Toro who is recognized as one of the best Chilean forwards but he didn't have the same success with Chile as other players.

Many great players of Chile had the same promblem, another is Carlos Reinoso, clearly one of the best AMF on the history of Chile, but simply can't do the same thing he does in México.

Another great add to the Reserves is Pedro Reyes, he had a decent carrer in the NT and was the best defender in Chile in the 90's

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:47 pm

MrNBA wrote:
As a Chilean myself, i like the work you done here Interista, is a well thinkered squad.
Maybe the only player by his performance in the NT who can get him way into the 23 man squad, is Charles Aránguiz, an absolutely fan favourite and an always underrated player.
Vargas before Russia 2018 any game he played under the red shirt of Chile, he fulfill the promise he show in la U in 2011, a killer against Spain.

Many great players of Chile had the same promblem, another is Carlos Reinoso, clearly one of the best AMF on the history of Chile, but simply can't do the same thing he does in México.

Another great add to the Reserves is Pedro Reyes, he had a decent carrer in the NT and was the best defender in Chile in the 90's

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I took Aránguiz into consideration for the first team. He could replace an AMF to follow up what Doni said about the line-up likely going to be a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4. Although, I have no idea which AMF could be out. Fouillioux comes to mind even though he was instrumental in the historical 1962 World Cup campaign. However, I rate Francisco Valdés and Jorge Aravena one step higher.

I wouldn't have Reyes in the first team. Figueroa and Quintano are undisputed in the best XI. Medel's imminent 150 caps milestone and his accomplishments with Chile in the 2010s make him worthy of a spot in the first team.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Interista93 wrote:
Thanks a lot, I appreciate it! I took Aránguiz into consideration for the first team. He could replace an AMF to follow up what Doni said about the line-up likely going to be a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-4. Although, I have no idea which AMF could be out. Fouillioux comes to mind even though he was instrumental in the historical 1962 World Cup campaign. However, I rate Francisco Valdés and Jorge Aravena one step higher.

I wouldn't have Reyes in the first team. Figueroa and Quintano are undisputed in the best XI. Medel's imminent 150 caps milestone and his accomplishments with Chile in the 2010s make him worthy of a spot in the first team.

Homrazabal maybe. Is a shame, but he was excluding of the '62 World Cup cause a disciplinary bullshit :(
I mean Reyes can be in the Reserve Squad, not in the Main squad.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:32 pm

MrNBA wrote:
Homrazabal maybe. Is a shame, but he was excluding of the '62 World Cup cause a disciplinary bullshit :(

Hormazábal is needed for the SMF/WF position. About Reyes, I had already included him in the reserves.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:38 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:

What discussion about which criteria? Club performance should never be relevant for NT AS and it's the same way around for Club AS.
Btw, I also don't get why you again bring up Burruchaga after we explained to you multiple times why we included him in Argentina AS..

What you mean what discussion? The discussion that you just gave the answer: "Club performance should never be relevant for NT AS and it's the same way around for Club AS. "

I didnt bring up Burruchaga again, I actually gave him as an example after, as you said, you guys explained once, not multiple times, why he was included in Argentina AS.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:34 pm
Profile WWW

Interista93 wrote:
MrNBA wrote:

Hormazábal is needed for the SMF/WF position. About Reyes, I had already included him in the reserves.

Ups, my bad, i see the pinned post instead of yours searching Pedro. Reseeing the squads, i miss Chano Garrido, i know he had 44 reps, but he and Astengo (who he had 18 app... ah, the Maracanazo) are well know here. But I can see why they aren't in the squad.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next