:ENG: Harry KANE
:ARG: Gonzalo HIGUAÍN
:CHI: Alexis SÁNCHEZ
:URU: Edinson CAVANI
:NET: Robin VAN PERSIE
:SPA: Diego COSTA
:FRA: Antoine GRIEZMANN
:CRO: Mario MANDŽUKIĆ

Last edited by StuartBannigan on Sat May 18, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat May 18, 2019 2:21 am

StuartBannigan wrote:
Yeah this team doesn’t need any changes IMO. Actually I rate Alves as one of the best RBs ever in his prime but Lahm is also one of the best RBs ever and is pretty much indisputable here for his success at both club and international level, both as captain. Robben was also consistently a game changer at both club and international level, especially in international tournaments and in the CL final which is what will be remembered after all.

Busquets was the best DM in the world from like 2010-2018 and Xavi defines the 2010s and was the dominant figure in the most successful international team of the decade, that’s why they’re in the starting XI. Xavi may have been on the way down less than halfway though the decade but he is IMO the best midfielder of the 21st century.

I won't object to Lahm over Alves or Xavi's entry. It's clear what you say. I just have my own aspect on building a ''decade team''. However I find controversial your choice to include a pure defensive midfielder but exclude a pure striker. First of all, concerning your MFs, it's not right to give credit to all these three who played together and ignore other players who achieved much enough as them. Modric, fair or not, broke the Cristiano-Messi dominance. He proved how vital he was for both club and nation. Also Kroos and Schweinsteiger were more significant than Sergio, so you should consider sacrifice a pure DMF. Afterwards, placing Messi to the centre for the sake of leaving a striker out is kinda illegal. False 9 Messi always had a striker on his side. The position Messi is to be handed through this decade is RWF or right side SS. If your problem is excluding Robben then change your formation to 4-2-4 using the two best midfielders of your taste, Cristiano and Robben on the flanks and Messi behind a striker. This decade saw many great strikers. You can't quit the procedure of selecting one of them. All in all your team praises the individual performance no matter how it lasted (which is obviously not bad), but: 1)it lacks of paying mutual respect to teams/players that had the same success, 2)the front three would not work so well.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:01 pm

Quote:
Well, this decade saw a lot of great strikers so it's disrespectful not to include any of them. I guess you don't think Messi or Cristiano is worse than Robben. I'm huge fan of him but he is unlucky concerning this topic. Period.

This isn't about being respectful (whatever that's even supposed to mean), this is about choosing the best players for the team. Robben was probably more influential than Suarez or Lewandowski in the 2010s, even despite his injuries.

Quote:
However I find controversial your choice to include a pure defensive midfielder but exclude a pure striker.

The best team of the decade, Barca 2011, did exactly that. I doubt anyone found that controversial at the time.

Quote:
Also Kroos and Schweinsteiger were more significant than Sergio, so you should consider sacrifice a pure DMF.

Were they? I mean, Busquets won a World Cup, a Euros, 2 CL titles and 7 league titles while being one of the team's best players. I'm not "ignoring" the other players, I just think those three in the team were the best midfielders of the 2010s. That they all played together is purely a coincidence. I mean, I doubt anyone would complain that other players were being ignored if someone put Rijkaard, Gullit and Van Basten in an 80s team or Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento in a 50s team.

Quote:
Afterwards, placing Messi to the centre for the sake of leaving a striker out is kinda illegal. False 9 Messi always had a striker on his side. The position Messi is to be handed through this decade is RWF or right side SS.

He has Ronaldo next to him, I don't see how that's any different to when he had Villa next to him. It's not like Ronaldo is averse to running in behind defences or anything.

Quote:
All in all your team praises the individual performance no matter how it lasted (which is obviously not bad), but it lacks of paying mutual respect to teams/players that had the same success.

The objective of this team is not to be diverse. The fact so many players here all played for the same teams is a symptom of the centralisation of football, where only 3 or 4 teams can expect to compete for the top trophies, and very few world class players play outside of those teams. The starting XI has 4 Barcelona players, 3 Real Madrid players, 3 Bayern players and a Juventus player. To me, that seems completely representative of the 2010s. Great players are always going to miss out.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm

StuartBannigan wrote:
Quote:
Also Kroos and Schweinsteiger were more significant than Sergio, so you should consider sacrifice a pure DMF.

Were they? I mean, Busquets won a World Cup, a Euros, 2 CL titles and 7 league titles while being one of the team's best players. I'm not "ignoring" the other players, I just think those three in the team were the best midfielders of the 2010s.

Schweinsteiger was certainly more instrumental for both Bayern and Germany, apart from beeing one of the best central midfielders in the world he was was the "emotional" leader of the team who inspired all of his team mates. Busquets was great player (or still is lol) but in those big tournaments you mentioned he certainly wasn't as important for the titles as Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Piqué or Ramos. If people remember about Barca's second treble, they first remember Messi and Xavi/Iniesta, from the final of course Villa's curled shot against van der Sar and probably even Pedro netting the important first goal. If people remember the 2015 Treble, then everyone speaks about MSN trio. If people speak about the WC and EC, then they will remember again Iniesta/Xavi, Casillas' save against Robben and the thrashing of Italy in the 2012 final. On the other hand if you ask anyone about Germany's WC win in 2014, then most people will remember those scenes here:

For Bayern it's similar: Apart from "Robbery" you'll at first think of the crying Schweinsteiger after the 2012 final but also his tears of joy after leading Bayern to their first Treble in 2013.

Just to make it clear: I certainly don't want to replace Busquets with Schweinsteiger here but just in terms of individual significance and importance to their team Busquets simply doesn't stand a chance against Schweinsteiger.

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:21 pm

Kanté instead of Sneijder who didn't really had any world-class player season after 2011.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:08 am

Definitely.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:23 am

IFFHS World's Man Team of the Decade 2011–2020
GK: NEUER
DF: LAHM, SERGIO RAMOS, VAN DIJK, MARCELO
MF: KROOS, A. INIESTA, MODRIC
FW: C. RONALDO, LEWANDOWSKI, MESSI

Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:14 pm

Thiago Silva should replace Pepe on the first team.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3