CF TORRES

Captain: David Silva
Short Free Kick: Juan Mata
Long Free Kick: Xabi Alonso/Cesc Fàbregas/Juan Mata/David Silva
Free Kick 2: Xabi Alonso/Cesc Fàbregas
Left Corner: Xabi Alonso/David Silva/Cesc Fàbregas/Juan Mata
Right Corner: Xabi Alonso/Cesc Fàbregas/David Silva/Juan Mata
Penalty: Cesc Fàbregas/Fernando Torres/Xabi Alonso
Players to go up in freekicks and corners: Aymeric Laporte, Carlos Cuéllar, Rodri

Last edited by El Capo on Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:01 pm

Xabi is a must for this team, there's no need to squeeze three fullbacks (especially not Bellerin and Marcos Alonso) in while leaving Xabi out. Formation should be a 4-2-3-1 IMO with either Azpilicueta/Bellerin as RB or Marcos Alonso/Azpilicueta as LB, Xabi/Rodri as DMF, Fabregas as CMF/AMF and Mata/Silva as RMF and LMF. And there's certainly no need for 9 defenders when you only have 5 strikers, two of them (IMO Ferrer and José Enrique/Monreal) should go out. Ayoze Pérez should be in as well, while guys like Ángel Rangel, Jordi Gomez, Luis Garcia and even Thiago should be in reserves..
And one thing I really ask myself, even as an Everton fan: Deulofeu as first team but no Pedro at all? :D

Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:41 pm

Monreal was better than Marcos Alonso for sure, really underrated player. He should be in the starting XI. You can see every player here, there’s definitely a few notable names missing.

Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:59 pm

You could consider skipping reserves or make a 26-man (2-8-8-8) or 30-man (3-9-9-9) squad, I don't know. I think this strict 23-man squad could work though: GK: Reina (please write him as Pepe), De Gea - DF: Azpilicueta, Monreal, Bellerin, M. Alonso, Cuellar, Campo, Laporte - MF: Cesc (not this Francesc joke), D. Silva, Arteta, Mata, X. Alonso, Rodri, Cazorla - FW: A. Perez, Torres, A. Traore, Pedro, D. Costa, Reyes, Deulofeu. Your starting line-up having 3 CBs isn't a bad idea. But if you stick with it, you could place M. Alonso at the LCB and Monreal at the LWB. There is plenty of options of course. Also an archive of player ratings from some reliable press or media could be helpful, shall you come across.

Last edited by FanisJK7 on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:49 am

If I'm not mistaken, Marcos Alonso only started to play as CB under Xavi at Barça; I don't considered him to play as central defender at all.

4-2-3-1 will be the formation, thing is im.

I'll stick with 23 players on the first team, just to keep it consistent with the recently posted country-based League AS teams. I'll ditch Ferrer and Enrique for Ayoze and likely Pedro for Adama Traoré.

Anyway, who'll be the keeper? :mrgreen:

EDIT:

Updated team, later I'll link the players.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:30 am

It should be vice versa actually (Monreal LCB and M. Alonso LWB), if you went for a back-three. In fact M. Alonso could be even mentioned as a midfielder (hard to tell he was a defender), but let's not make it more complicated. My main objection is D. Costa's absence. He should definitely be concluded, maybe Rodrigo could make space for him. Fornals and Herrera don't deserve totally first-team. They are kinda imitations of the others, especially Pablo (of S. Cazorla), but I can understand they had a decent stint. I'm not so sure about J. Navas, I would choose Adama over him by a narrow margin. He could go past Reyes or Deulofeu though. About reserves it's Almunia over Kepa in my opinion.

Sat Apr 22, 2023 11:31 am

So, who'll be the keeper?

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:06 am

Well, peak De Gea was better than peak Reina by some distance. And De Gea has 100 more appearances, and won the league. I don't think Reina has any argument over De Gea. He was a good goalkeeper but was even more prone to mistakes than the De Gea from the last few years. And while he made some incredible saves, De Gea was making those every game for a few years.

Also, I wouldn't have gone for Rodrigo over Diego Costa, Rodrigo has been inconsistent while Costa was crucial in winning two league titles. Also Costa is a proper CF which the team lacks apart from Torres. I also think Arteta has been better in the league than Mata. Mata was great for Chelsea but despite playing in the league for 11 years, he was only really relevant for about 5 of those, and only very good for about 2 or 3. Arteta was a consistent presence in the league and a leading player for Everton who were the 5th best team for most of his time there. So I'd pick him in the starting XI.

Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:36 am

Formation would look odd to me, either Fàbregas or Arteta would play on the wing, unless we bring Cazorla..

Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:21 am

Don't know what's odd about that, Arteta played on both sides of the field for Everton before he started to play in a more central role in the 2009/10 season.

Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:52 pm

All right, that solves everything!

Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]