It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Irish English First Division All Stars 

Irish English First Division All Stars

(this team can be also a valid hypothetical United Ireland All Stars, probably with a few changes)

Coach: :NIR: Bob KYLE

GOALKEEPERS:

:IRL: Shay GIVEN
:NIR: Pat JENNINGS

DEFENDERS:

:IRL: Johnny CAREY
:IRL: Tony DUNNE
:IRL: Denis IRWIN
:IRL: Mark LAWRENSON
:IRL: Paul McGRATH
:IRL: David O'LEARY
:NIR: Pat RICE

MIDFIELDERS:

:NIR: Danny BLANCHFLOWER
:IRL: Liam BRADY
:IRL: Johnny GILES
:IRL: Roy KEANE
:NIR: Jimmy McILROY
:IRL: Kevin SHEEDY
:IRL: Ronnie WHELAN

FORWARDS:

:NIR: George BEST
:NIR: Billy BINGHAM
:NIR: Derek DOUGAN
:IRL: Jimmy DUNNE
:IRL: Steve HEIGHWAY
:NIR: Peter McPARLAND
:IRL: Frank STAPLETON

RESERVES:

GOALKEEPERS:

:NIR: Harry GREGG
:NIR: Willie McFAUL
:NIR: Jim PLATT
:NIR: Elisha SCOTT

DEFENDERS:

:IRL: Shay BRENNAN
:IRL: Noel CANTWELL
:IRL: Séamus COLEMAN
:IRL: Billy COOK
:NIR: Mal DONAGHY
:NIR: Alex ELDER
:NIR: Jonny EVANS
:NIR: Aaron HUGHES
:NIR: Billy McCRACKEN
:IRL: Kevin MORAN
:NIR: Sammy NELSON
:IRL: John O'SHEA

MIDFIELDERS:

:IRL: Lee CARSLEY
:IRL: :NIR: Peter FARRELL
:NIR: Archie GOODALL
:NIR: Bryan HAMILTON
:IRL: Ray HOUGHTON
:NIR: David McCREERY
:NIR: Sammy McILROY
:NIR: Martin O'NEILL
:IRL: Steve STAUNTON
:NIR: :IRL: Alex STEVENSON
:IRL: Andy TOWNSEND
:NIR: Norman WHITESIDE

FORWARDS:

:IRL: John ALDRIDGE
:IRL: Tony CASCARINO
:NIR: Peter DOHERTY
:IRL: Damien DUFF
:IRL: Billy GILLESPIE
:IRL: Don GIVENS
:NIR: Willie IRVINE
:IRL: Robbie KEANE
:IRL: Shane LONG
:NIR: Billy McADAMS
:IRL: Niall QUINN
:IRL: Liam WHELAN

THE BEST EVER XI

GK JENNINGS
CB O'LEARY
CB McGRATH
RB RICE
LB IRWIN
DMF KEANE
CMF BLANCHFLOWER ©
LMF BRADY
AWF McILROY
RWF BEST
CF J. DUNNE

Captain: Danny Blanchflower | Roy Keane
Short free kick: Liam Brady | Denis Irwin
Long free kick: Liam Brady | Danny Blanchflower | Denis Irwin
Free kick 2: George Best
Right corner: Liam Brady | Jimmy McIlroy | Danny Blanchflower
Left corner: Liam Brady | Jimmy McIlroy | Danny Blanchflower
Penalty: Danny Blanchflower | Liam Brady

Last edited by Interista93 on Tue May 23, 2023 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue May 23, 2023 12:11 am

In terms of ability, McGrath is the best defender in the reserves and first team combined. I’d consider dropping Lawrenson or McCracken for him. Kevin Moran was also much better than Nigel Worthington in my opinion.

Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 am

StuartBannigan wrote:
In terms of ability, McGrath is the best defender in the reserves and first team combined. I’d consider dropping Lawrenson or McCracken for him. Kevin Moran was also much better than Nigel Worthington in my opinion.

You're right on that but Lawrenson won numerous titles, playing a major role. Since we're talking about First Division and not just the best Irish to play in England, I believe we can't ignore that. I made an exception only for Brady and a few strikers because there weren't too many who won at least one English title. Anyway, McCracken won only one, so he can be dropped for McGrath. Also, I definitely forgot about Moran who can definitely replace Worthington.

Tue May 23, 2023 1:31 am

I don't understand why there are three LB (and yes, Irwin was mainly a LB) but only one RB with Rice - especially considering that both Coleman and Carey have strong arguments to be here. Formation also should be changed, Rice needs to be RB and Heighway certainly has no place in best XI. Sheedy was far better than him and even if you don't agree with that, then at least Brady should be placed as LMF and McIlroy as AMF. Keane and Blanchflower also should be switched in positions, if those two would have played together then certainly Keane would have taken the enforcer role with Blanchflower in front of him.
And as I'm going through this team: McIlroy should be in midfielders anyway and IMO either Heighway or Duff should be switched with McParland..
Edit: I'm maybe biased there (since he's one of my all time favorite GKs) but IMO Given should be in first team as well instead of Scott. He may haven't won any silverware but there were times when he was arguably even the best GK of the PL.

Tue May 23, 2023 2:58 pm

gurkenjoe93 wrote:
I don't understand why there are three LB (and yes, Irwin was mainly a LB) but only one RB with Rice - especially considering that both Coleman and Carey have strong arguments to be here. Formation also should be changed, Rice needs to be RB and Heighway certainly has no place in best XI. Sheedy was far better than him and even if you don't agree with that, then at least Brady should be placed as LMF and McIlroy as AMF. Keane and Blanchflower also should be switched in positions, if those two would have played together then certainly Keane would have taken the enforcer role with Blanchflower in front of him.
And as I'm going through this team: McIlroy should be in midfielders anyway and IMO either Heighway or Duff should be switched with McParland..
Edit: I'm maybe biased there (since he's one of my all time favorite GKs) but IMO Given should be in first team as well instead of Scott. He may haven't won any silverware but there were times when he was arguably even the best GK of the PL.

Take in mind that I mainly focused the team in First Division/Premier League winners, but I agree with all your suggestions. It makes sense to have two proper RB since Irwin was a LB even though I put him in the line-up on the right. And Given is definitely a more iconic goalkeeper than Scott.

Tue May 23, 2023 5:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]