It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Stats for Goalkeepers 

Hi! I have some questions about how you work with GK sets so I can clear my doubts and start working on more accurate sets. What guidelines do you follow when making sets for goalkeepers? What do the different abilities (and combinations) mean for you?

For example, René Higuita, who has orange numbers in response but a mere 81 in goalkeeping skills, the same as average goalkeepers like Éwerton or B. Abate (with smaller numbers in all other categories).

What exactly do response and GK skills represent in a player? What can cause such a drastic difference?

About penalty-scoring goalkeepers: Hans-Jörg Butt only has 53 in free-kick accuracy (which in later games became set-piece accuracy and included penalties, free-kicks and corners). While his set still has the PK Taker ability, how does this work in game? His shooting stats are pretty much average for a goalkeeper too. Does only the Special Ability matter for penalties? Do all players with S04 shoot the same, then?

How do you measure other intangible stuff like teamwork? I can understand mentality, as that's the same for outfield players, but teamwork?
Manuel Neuer has 88 team work, which is the highest amongst goalkeepers in the forum. Now, Shilton and Pagliuca are just one point below with 87 team work... Maybe team work for goalkeepers is not what I thought it was?

Theodor Lohrmann is the goalkeeper with the highest Shot Power I could find and it's on 93... Would, for example, a goalkeeper like Éderson deserve 95+ in that category?

Is there any relation between jump and response? Jump and balance? And what do defense and agility exactly measure?

This questions are only to understand the creation of goalkeeper sets better. I would like to be able to start working on goalkeepers, but first I would need to get an idea of how you guys handle them.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:29 pm

Higuita was mostly known for his reflexes and agility that allowed him to make spectacular saves. When it comes to ball catching and handling, he wasn't as good. Grobbelaar was similar from this standpoint as he had outstanding reflexes and high agility but was sometimes bad in catching balls, even low and easy ones. Anyway, I wouldn't compare his set to Éwerton and Abate that definitely need an update.

PK Taker gave a huge boost in penalties for all players. I believe that goalkeepers with this skill didn't need high free kick accuracy in old gen versions of the game.

Teamwork refers to how well a player works with his teammates. For example, a higher value makes the player better in receiving passes and sending them right to the targeted teammate. A keeper-sweeper like Neuer is possibly the best ever in this aspect. It's possible that a high teamwork also makes the goalkeeper more effective in commanding the area, but I'm not sure about this.

If you notice, Lohrmann has also high long pass speed. In this case, the two stats are correlated. I don't know how much Ederson deserves in shot power, but I believe that an old gen set for him would also require high LPS.

How jump works is easy to guess. Goalkeepers with high jump are more effective in saving high shots and catching high crosses. It's probably connected to balance when it comes to coming off the goal and catching a cross. A goalkeeper with high balance should have less chances to fall to the ground when he collides with an another player.

Defense refers to how well a goalkeeper can cover his goal, whether he's on the line or he's coming off it to challenge the incoming striker one-on-one.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:27 pm

Interista93 wrote:
Higuita was mostly known for his reflexes and agility that allowed him to make spectacular saves. When it comes to ball catching and handling, he wasn't as good. Grobbelaar was similar from this standpoint as he had outstanding reflexes and high agility but was sometimes bad in catching balls, even low and easy ones. Anyway, I wouldn't compare his set to Éwerton and Abate that definitely need an update.

And what's agility exactly in goalkeepers? I read some discussion on the forum about De Gea vs. Courtois agility, and with it, I assumed it means the faster the player can reach certain spots in the goal. De Gea can save lower shots more easily than Courtois because of his agility, I guess (which is true but I don't know if that's what agility is referring to in that context). I suppose that Response = Reflexes then with this explanation.

Interista93 wrote:
Teamwork refers to how well a player works with his teammates. For example, a higher value makes the player better in receiving passes and sending them right to the targeted teammate. A keeper-sweeper like Neuer is possibly the best ever in this aspect. It's possible that a high teamwork also makes the goalkeeper more effective in commanding the area, but I'm not sure about this.

I'm still not sure what to think of this. I understand the first definition of teamwork, and I agree that if that's the case Neuer should have the highest in the forum, but then I see other sets and I don't really know if it's consistent. Is a goalkeeper more involved with the game supposed to have higher teamwork? Modern goalkeepers depend a lot on their ability with the feet, so I guess that's a factor, am I on the right?

Interista93 wrote:
If you notice, Lohrmann has also high long pass speed. In this case, the two stats are correlated. I don't know how much Ederson deserves in shot power, but I believe that an old gen set for him would also require high LPS.

I believe that Éderson deserves a very high SP (he broke the Guinness Record for the longest drop kick ever twice, if I'm not mistaken). What'd be a high LPS for goalkeepers? Because I also found a lot of inconsistencies in that specific category.

Interista93 wrote:
How jump works is easy to guess. Goalkeepers with high jump are more effective in saving high shots and catching high crosses. It's probably connected to balance when it comes to coming off the goal and catching a cross. A goalkeeper with high balance should have less chances to fall to the ground when he collides with an another player.

I understand the connection between jump and balance; but what would be the "saving" stat per sé then? High jump + agility would make a goalkeeper extremely good on high shots? Does that have to do more with his goalkeeping skills?

Interista93 wrote:
Defense refers to how well a goalkeeper can cover his goal, whether he's on the line or he's coming off it to challenge the incoming striker one-on-one.

I didn't understand this one :?

Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:45 pm

That definition of agility for goalkeepers can be accurate. For example, a goalkeeper who can get up quickly after a save to make another one can be considered agile. And response indicates indeed the reflexes of a goalkeeper, how quickly he can react to very close range shots.

A goalkeeper with high teamwork gets more involved with the game. Being capable of using his feet, though, doesn't mean that the goalkeeper should have high teamwork. That's more about dribbling and technique. Of course, if the keeper knows how to distribute the ball, for example, he needs a good teamwork value.

In PES 2013 (the last game to feature the long pass speed stat), only 40 goalkeepers have LPS on 70 or more. I guess that's where this stat starts to be high for a keeper.

High GK skill or saving make the goalkeeper more capable of catching the ball and saving long range shots, even when powerful.

Imagine a goalkeeper who positions himself in the wrong way and leaves space for the striker to score without a problem, for example during a free kick. Imagine also a goalkeeper who is bad at stopping a striker in one-on-one situations. I consider him bad at defending and covering his goal. In fact, a high defense for a defender gives the player a better positional sense and makes him more effective when challenging an opponent one-on-one.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:08 pm

What would be an example of a top goalkeeper with low a defence stat?

And does this mean shot-stoppers have higher GK skills than other types of goalkeepers?

Last edited by Nacho1605 on Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:38 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:38 pm

Nacho1605 wrote:
What would be an example of a top goalkeeper with low a defence stat?

And does this mean shot-stoppers have higher GK skills than other types of goalkeepers?

I cannot imagine a top goalkeeper who can't defend his goal. There's no way a big team would keep such keeper.

Yeah, I give high GK skill to goalkeepers known for their shot-stopping ability.

Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]