Growth type: Early/Lasting

CARDS:
S08 - Slide Tackle
S09 - Covering
S10 - DF Leader

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Sliding - Covering - D-Line Control

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Defence Minded

Quote:
The legendary Milan stopper for 20 years. Billy was central defender with long and successful career. Strong and tenacious defender, he compensated with his experience and his sense of positioning, the slight lack of speed and technique, becoming one of the unsurpassed parts in the heart of the Milan defense. As he aged, Costacurta has based his game on the sense of positioning and intercepting. He had tactical intelligence, timing in the interventions, great concentration and determination resources. Despite the lack of pace and even technique, he was good tackler with excellent reading of the game, well timed interventions in defence and he was excellent in marking. Although not particularly tall, he was very powerful player, strong in the air, and could send very precise long passes from defence. But he didn't have some important attacking contribution, since not in possess of some great shot and dribbling. Nevertheless he had decent ball control and could start the attacks with good passes, mainly the long ones. He played as central defender for years but with the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti on the Milan bench (2001), Billy took first moves into the role of full back (mostly due to emergency causes than in technical and tactical choices). Costacurta has been able to settle well with skills and guaranteed performances even in that "atypical" role (especially on the right side), despite the passing of years and the lack of practice at that position didn't help him a lot. His primary role remains that of stopper, where he played the best even with the national team, where he began in 1991 and with whom he played as an undisputed starter until the World Cup in France '98.

Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:21 pm

Does really is a BB 85 player? JM, you that you have see him several times could you confirm this? 'Cause it doesn't look good, so close to Nesta (86)?

I guess he relied more on pure DEF positioning (which is already highlighted) rather than brute force..Also he didn't rely that much on his good foot, i see his WFA/WFF at 4 at least.

Sat May 21, 2016 4:38 am

Yes, he was indeed strong and tough in tackling as well. Regarding Nesta, well he was taller from Billy but I don't think he was stronger physically. I'd certainly keep Billy on 85, Nesta can get a higher value if you want but I think it's fine how it is now..

What can be lowered is ACC, AGI and DS, he was really slow player, like those 2 we mentioned yesterday. I'd lower all those abilities by 2 points each..

And certainly his TMW is too high, I don't like those central defenders who raraly participated in offensive moves of the team to have high values in TMW...

Sat May 21, 2016 10:43 am
Profile WWW

El Capo if they can be useful here are some videos dedicated to Costacurta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_KXpGOUloI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcBBtLRrls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_I8wi5SXA

Then looking at the Internet there are complete matches of AC Milan to look for an even clearer idea of this great defender of AC Milan!

Sat May 21, 2016 12:48 pm

Maybe 1 point lower at TW... TW defensively speaking is important too since is related on how good he was playing at the offside trap (And Costacurta wasn't the exception), so i wouldn't go so hard on this..

PiccoloInzaghi wrote:
El Capo if they can be useful here are some videos dedicated to Costacurta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_KXpGOUloI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljcBBtLRrls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS_I8wi5SXA

Then looking at the Internet there are complete matches of AC Milan to look for an even clearer idea of this great defender of AC Milan!

Thanks, i surely watch this, yet but i guess it wont be so helpful (talking about the stats), this one definitely doesn't any "major" change aside what JM suggest.

Sat May 21, 2016 1:03 pm

In addition to what JeanMarc said: Costacurta wasn't surely renowned for his speed or technical and passing ability since Baresi used to do all the work of going forward and set up the actions. He was also better at covering and marking than anticipating his opponents. I'd give him RES 89-90, DA 76, DS 70, SPA 75 (same as LPA).
I'd decrease also FKA to 60-61 (I'd even go under 60 about shooting stats though). You know what I think about defenders who didn't use to score, either from action or free kick and either they were legends or not.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]