S21 - Step On Skills
S22 - Side Stepping Skills
P05 - Mazing Run
P09 - Cut Back Pass
P10 - Incisive Run

SPECIAL ABILITIES: Dribbling - Tactical Dribble - 1-1 Scoring - Side - Outside

Attack/Defence Awareness Card: Attack Minded

INFO:

Considered by many to be the finest dribbler in the history of football, Brazilian star Garrincha played a pivotal role in his country's triumphs in the 1958 and 1962 World Cups. A flying right-winger who was able to score or create goals almost at will, he overcame a number of physical problems to become one of the most popular players Brazil has ever produced, although his often controversial off-field lifestyle contributed to his early death. Garrincha, real name Manuel Francisco dos Santos, was born in Pau Grande in Rio de Janeiro state on 28 October 1933. He earned his nickname, meaning 'little bird' as a result of his relatively small stature, growing to little over 5'6" (167cm). He was born with atwisted spine and several problems with his legs, one being several centimetres shorter than the other and both being crooked, but still displayed a considerable talent for football from an early age. Beginning his career at youth level with Pau Grande, Garrincha initially seemed to have no interest in becoming a professional despite interest from a number of Brazil's leading clubs. His private life was beset with problems from an early age, having left school barely literate at 14 and started drinking heavily around the same time. At the age of 19, he finally agreed to sign his first professional contract and joined Botafogo, where he went on to spend most of his playing career. His impact was immediate, dazzling experienced defenders with his skills in training and scoring a hat-trick on his first team debut in the summer of 1953. His greatest gift was undoubtedly his mesmerising dribbling skills, sometimes even going back to players he had already beaten to take them on again. Garrincha was also a superb crosser of the ball and capable of scoring spectacular goals from long range. Despite his height, he was also surprisingly strong in the air.

In his first season with Botafogo, Garrincha scored 20 goals in the Rio state championship, including a hat-trick against Bonsuccesso in the second game of the season. By 1955 he had been called up to the national team, making his debut in a 1-1 draw with Chile, but for a couple of years remained on the fringes of the squad. During that time he did win a first major honour at club level, scoring in the 6-2 final game win over Fluminense which clinched the Rio state title in 1957. Despite a run in the national team in 1957, Garrincha's international career continued to stutter. Brazil had begun to use IQ testing and psychological profiling as part of their selection process. The poorly educated Garrincha, with his often waywayd lifestyle and casual attitude, did not fit with what they were looking for but such was his standing with the other players, Brazil took a chance on him and included him in the saquad for the 1958 World Cup in Sweden. Garrincha, along with the 17-year old Pelé, was left out of Brazil's first two games as they beat Austria and drew with England, but both were unleashed on the tournament against the Soviet Union in the last group match. The Soviet defenders could not cope with the flying winger, being beaten time and time again. Brazil won the match 2-0 to qualify for the knockout stages, where they beat Wales and France to reach the final against hosts Sweden. In the final, Brazil fell behind early but Garrincha turned the match in their favour. With two trademark runs down the right wing, he created two nearly identical goals for Vavá to give his team a 2-1 lead at half-time. They never looked back, going on to win 5-2 and claim the World Cup for the first time. Less than a year later they almost added the South American Championship to their world title, but failure to beat hosts Argentina in their final game left Brazil as runners-up. Many leading European sides attempted to sign him, but moving into the 1960s Garrincha's private life began to cause increasing problems. He was drinking more heavily and gaining weight and when driving under the influence of alcohol, ran over his own father. He also fathered a number of children as a result of extra-marital affairs. Despite those problems, he helped Botafogo to win another Rio state title in 1961 and the Rio-São Paulo tournament early the following year, going into the 1962 World Cup in Chile in fine form. That World Cup proved to be the pinnacle of Garrincha's career, as when Pelé suffered an injury early in the tournament he took centre stage in the Brazilian side. He set up the winning goal against Spain to clinch a quarter-final place, where he dominated the match against England. Garrincha opened the scoring with a header and with Brazil leading 2-1 in the second half, added another with a superb strike from 25 years before missing out on a hat-trick when his penalty was saved. He scored twice more in the semi-final against Chile, establishing a 2-0 first half lead in a match Brazil went on to win 4-2, but was sent off late in the match and could have missed the final. Suspensions were not automatic however and he was allowed to play against Czechoslovakia, where Brazil came from behind to win 3-1. He was named player of the tournament, as well as finished in a six-way tie for the Golden Boot with four goals.

Although he won another Rio state title with Botafogo in 1962, his career began to decline as he entered his 30s. Years of drinking began to take their toll and he drifted away from the national team, while the previously adoring Brazilian public began to turn against him when he left his wife and children to marry another woman. In 1965 he left Botafogo after 12 years, joining Corinthians. Garrincha returned to the national team in 1965, three years on from his last appearance in the World Cup final. He remained in the squad until the 1966 World Cup in England, scoring from a free-kick in the opening game win over Bulgaria. In their next game Brazil suffered a disappointing 3-1 defeat to Hungary, which remarkably was his first international defeat in his 50th cap. It was also his last international, as he missed the defeat against Portugal which knocked Brazil out of the finals.Through the late 1960s, Garrincha's career entered terminal decline. He moved around various clubs, playing for Portuguesa, Colombian side Atlético Junior and Flamengo. He was also involved in another drink-driving tragedy, crashing into a truck and causing the death of his mother-in-law, who was a passanger in the car. His final club as a professional was Olaria, where he retired after the 1972 season at the age of 39. In retirement, his alcohol problem grew even worse. His wife left him after he struck her in a drunken rage, while in 1980 he appeared clearly drunk at a Rio carnival, completely unaware of what was going on around him. Amid mounting family and financial problems, he died three years later from cirrhosis of the liver, aged just 49. One of the game's flawed geniuses, Garrincha's ability on the pitch ensured that he remains one of Brazil's most popular players.

Spoiler: show
VIDEOS:

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:10 pm

I must say that is very hard determine DS.. I think he could be below Blokhin here, he was extremly fast in those famous dribble to the right, but he less dribble on long distances, also when he start with long run he didn't keep always same speed and wasn't so fast in those runs.. more relied on extremely agility and change of directions rather than direct dribbles forward with high speed on the ball.. but on other hand he had pretty fast footwork in situations when he came close to the 2-3 opponent players.. I think lowest orange value could suits best his speed in dribbling..

Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

Vukas was better than him in DS, since he already has 99 in AGI, there's no need for very high value in DS. Rather 90-91..

Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:36 pm
Profile WWW

Lowered it to 90..

Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm reading this guy's biography at this moment. I can recommend it to everyone that did not read it

Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:12 am

Updated with MagicDip's Suggestions. Btw interesting article here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/apr/27/sport.features

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:05 am

Even by the standards here, some things are still too high:

STA should be 75 max (if you wanna maintain it in green), he was like nowadays Messi: no defensive work, walking on the pitch when without the ball, static. He would come into life only with the ball at his feet to play with the defenders and make the same dribble over and over again in his right wing. Honestly not worth 80.
Same for RES, should be 74/75. When he lost the ball, he mostly didn't care and stopped his action. It's only in 62 that I saw him a bit more involved in running after the players, trying to recover the ball from time to time, but still way below the average in that aspect.
And SPS should be few points lower than LPS, his grounded passes (except the cut back passes for Vava) were powerless.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:23 am
Profile WWW

RES is important for the strikers as well, and Garrincha was striker not defender, despite the fact he played on the wing and not in the centre. So when rating strikers we need to focus just how quick they react on rebounds in the box, not on their defensive work, that's reflected in DEF, MEN, STA..

All you said about his RES can be also said for Pippo Inzaghi, Gerd Muller, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Slobodan Santrač, so all of them should be in green RES...

Some players could react well in the box on those rebounds from some mess or deflected balls from keepers or defenders and score with simple "tap in", regardless of their position like Deyna or even Rui Costa in younger days, or Alan Ball. That's why I keep them in yellow RES. And many wingers as well, those who just stayed on the wing to make crosses I give low RES, but those who moved vertical on the goal and serched every action to move in the box and score eventually good amount of goals, I give low yellow values..

That's RES, not just redicuolous random bumping of ATT like psd retards are doing where everybody who can dribble 2 opponents, score or make assist, is given red and orange ATT...

Garrincha had RES 77 in pes 4 and I think it's a good value for him..I don't agree for STA, he was same as Ronaldinho, Messi and all those poachers, so than all of them should get white STA..

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:41 am
Profile WWW

I only talked about his defensive work but even in attack, he wasn't the kind of player to react on loose balls.

Quote:
those who just stayed on the wing to make crosses I give low RES, but those who moved vertical on the goal and serched every action to move in the box and score eventually good amount of goals, I give low yellow values..

In his carrer, Garrincha mostly stayed in his side, in 62 he was more like a SS playing in the right side, starting from his wing to finish his actions vertically near the box or inside the box.

Anyway it's his STA that is problematic. I won't compare Ronaldinho to Garrincha, but I'd definitely compare these last 2 years' Messi with Garrincha, and yes Messi deserve a white value in STA, he absolutely does not a thing without the ball, same than Mané in his best years.

I guess we won't agree on this.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:53 am
Profile WWW

Yes, I know STA is bothering you, but I really wanted to clear up the RES thing, since we didn't discuss that in PM. And I see you and all the others on psd are forgetting a bit RES is not just defensive work and ball recuperations, it has other meaning for strikers..

Quote:
In his carrer, Garrincha mostly stayed in his side

You can't score any goals if you just stay on the wing, except of set pieces or shots from 40 meters, and Garrincha scored decent amount of goals, despite the fact most of them came after excellent dribbling runs..

IMO his rections in the box are enough for 77...I don't see the reason why should just CF and CB have yellow and higher RES...

Well I lowered SPS and STA a bit, if we give all players I've mentioned white STA, than I could update also Garrincha...

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:04 am
Profile WWW

I got your point on RES.

Concerning his scoring ratio, well, we have to take in account the era, the tactics (2-3-5, 3-2-5 , 4-2-4 mainly) used by the teams and the level of the Brazilian defenses back then in their championship, seems everything was done to give priority to the attack. I've seen various footage about his goals from Botafogo, ahah he could almost score by dribbling everyone until he reaches the net thanks to the boulevards they used to leave in the sides. They played individual defenses against the wingers, without any help at all from the CBs or the wingers, the poor side back had to contain Garrincha (or Pepe or any skilled WF) by himself lol That's why you can find so many WF from that era with such scoring ratios.

Last edited by MagicDip on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:52 am
Profile WWW

[quote=]Updated with MagicDip's Suggestions. Btw interesting article here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2002/apr/27/sport.features[/quote]

I've read the book mentioned in this article (Garrincha by Ruy Castro) and I enjoyed it :)

Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:54 am

I think he needs 95-96 Acceleration to reflect his strength in beating defenders using quick burst, and he can be uncatchable in occasions due to his acceleration.

Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:54 am

Comparing this set to the original Charrúan set, I'm not understanding certain changes: the 3 points less in dribble speed, the 1 point less in long pass accuracy and specially the change in the technique. Charrúan give him a 97 in technique and I think he was right, Garrincha had an amazing control of the ball, not only wonderful dribbles.

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:45 pm

TBH i don't see a problem with TEC in 95 (which is in the "god zone" lol)..

As for DS, i guess that there wasn't any reason to give him orange values since Garrincha didn't rely on 30-40 mts dribbling runs with the ball, always beating defenders with his trick going to the right, thus reducing the value, and certainly it didn't require such values..Actually, i agree with Fakhrul suggestion for higher ACC, representing his world class quick burst..

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next